Georgia Guidestones - Jonathan LaLiberty - Third Eye Media

Hello everyone!

Today, our featured project brings us to the US, where Third Eye Aerial Media 3D mapped the Georgia Guidestones monument:

Explore the project on Sketchfab: https://sketchfab.com/models/ea26f1fd66c446adb9018b492a38d47b

This is the story or the project:

The main goal of this project was to test the Inspire 2 drone and X5S camera with Olympus 25mm lens, to get more practice modeling structures and to get more practice cleaning up my models using the point cloud editor in Pix4Dmapper software. I chose to 3D model the Georgia Guidestones because of it’s rather a small size, interesting shape, and intricate details.

While I typically do use the Pix4Dcapture app for mapping flights, I manually piloted the drone and took the images for this 3D model. I started the capturing process by taking a picture of the structure and circling around it approx 10 feet above ground level, making sure to get solid horizontal overlap in between images. After completing a full circle around the structure, I increased my altitude and tilted the camera down and made another revolution, capturing more of the top and higher angles and finally a few images looking straight down on to the structure.

Technical details:

• Device used: DJI Inspire 2, X5S camera, Olympus 25mm lens
  • Number of images: 44
  • Pix4D software used: Pix4Dmapper
  • Platform used: This model was processed locally on an i7 core laptop and results uploaded to the cloud.
  • Editing: I edited the point cloud to remove some artifacts, trim the project boundaries to a more uniform edge.

My main business use for photogrammetry is for documenting and preserving traffic accident scenes and creating orthomosaic maps. While it does not make up a large volume of our business, it is requested from time to time and being proficient in Pix4D software for modeling or mapping that data was important to us. Having the knowledge to create maps, models and use Pix4D helps us differentiate our company from the many other drone companies that just offer aerial photos and videos. I believe this technology and service will be requested more in the future and want to be ready to provide a professional level of service and deliverable that exceeds client expectations.

I chose Pix4D after trying DroneDeploy, Recap 360 and some other programs and decided that Pix4D was worth putting in the time to learn. The very solid Pix4Dcapture app, Pix4Dmapper offering local and cloud processing, the vast amount of knowledge online and in Pix4D support site, all attributed to the decision to choose Pix4D.” Jonathan LaLiberty, owner of Third Eye Aerial Media

Discover the monument, feel free to share your comments, and your own projects.

Pix4D team

1 Like

Interesting and well done. Only one disappointment: I own an Apple iMac Pro 27" (late generation) and it is a waste of time upload your software via Bootcamp! Apple is an “avantgarde” and I’m an Apple user since 1984: it’s time to solve this issue IMHO

@Veronika How can I share some of our work? 

2 Likes

Hi Raul, 

Thank you for your message and your interest in sharing your work.

Please send me an email to veronica.alonso@pix4d.com so I can share our guidelines and project description template.