Does Pix4d plan to add support to process the data that DJI’s L1 Lidar package collects?

Hey,

Is there any plan to add support for processing the data that DJI’s L1 Lidar package collects? Being able to produce results similar to how Pix4d Mapper/ Matic produces results? Currently I am not happy with the work flow of DJI Terra.

Examples – The ability to tie the Lidar data to GCP’s, an Error report with corrections to the data set, a DTM or DSM for topography based on the corrected Lidar data, the Classification of points, the ability to process Lidar data sets at the same time or alongside my photogrammetry data sets?

Thanks

Hey @gvalentino,

My understanding from the LiDAR data from DJI is that most information (accuracy, etc…) is not easily accessible by third party developers. This means that processing the data directly in PIX4Dmatic would be tricky, as we do not have access to the raw data.

However, the classification of points and the creation of terrain models should be possible in PIX4Dsurvey. You could try it out: https://www.pix4d.com/download/pix4dsurvey

We would be interested in understanding better how we can combine LiDAR and photogrammetry for the processing part. What exactly would you have in mind for processing the LiDAR alongside the photogrammetry? Would you want them to interact somehow, or is it simply about the possibility to create the LiDAR point cloud and then aligning it with the photogrammetry later on?

Looking forward to hearing your thoughts!

Hi @Pierangelo_Rothenbuhler ,

Happened to stumble upon your exchange here because I was having the same thought as @gvalentino did. As of the moment I am more interested with aligning the LiDAR point clouds with the photogrammetry data sets. We are using the Zenmuse L1 and processing the data in Pix4d mapper. Interesting note: we cant see the Zenmuse L1 camera option when choosing a camera prior to processing, the system auto suggests a Canon EOS camera but with the same specs i think. Interested to find out whether we can get more accurate results if we have the exact same camera as on option.

Hoping to hear from you soon.

@david.cajes somehow I didn’t see your message until now. For aligning both datasets, you could have a look at PIX4Dsurvey, there are some possibilities already now, but this kind of alignment between LiDAR and photogrammetry projects will be improved there for sure.

As for the processing of the data and the fact that the wrong camera is selected, is this happening in PIX4Dmapper? or do you have the same issue in PIX4Dmatic? Have you tried processing the photogrammetry in PIX4Dmatic for the L1? This should work well.