Desktop Flight Plan

@John, thank you for your feedback, I have reported it.

However, note that this topic is about desktop flight planning. You could open a new topic about sending LOG files to third-party services so that other users can up-vote on your suggestion and so that we can monitor the activity more easily.

Thanks,

I can not believe that Pix4D does not have a Desktop flight planner!!!  Do you realize that all the other big players do??  It is so much easier to plan a flight on a Desktop while in the office and then load it up on your Android or iOs device when you are in the field ready to fly.  Why are you guys not providing this?  I guess for now the only solution is to use DroneDeploy to plan and fly and then process the images using our Pix4D account.  Not good.

1 Like

I could not agree more, preparing flight plans in the desktop will make it much better to estimate how many flights will be needed to cover certain scatter areas or to make sure that two flight plans will overlap, so the final map will contain the required amount of photos. This option will be a great addition to the Pix4D desktop software.

2 Likes

Rhéa could you please tell us when we can expect a Desktop App???

@Tim and @ Eduardo

Thank your for your comments and I have taken note of them. I have passed them along to our product development team to add votes for this new feature!

As an Engineering Services consultant, I can tell you we would definitely appreciate a desktop mission planner and a pre-cooked spiral flight pattern for long linear projects.

For whatever reason Pix4D seems to view this as “an option that a few users might like”. With this  attitude some day they will wake up and wonder what happened like many other companies around the world who thought they dominated their market.  Nobody is immune from becoming last place, not even Pix4D.  

And don’t get me wrong.  I love Pix4D.  I think it is awesome software and a great company (which is good since I own the software).  I also feel this is a blatant disregard for a software feature that is more or less an industry standard. 

2 Likes

@andrew:  +1!

@Tim: We understand your frustration, but as mentioned in other posts of this community, software development is always subjected to last minute changes, especially in this industry of cutting-edge technology. Rest assured, our product development team is well aware of the demand for the desktop planning feature.

The decision to implement a feature does not depend solely on us but on many external factors that make the planning and release process complex. Also there is always a trade-off between integrating new drones, implementing new features (flight, settings, mission management…), improving the current interface, and solving bugs.

Thank you for sharing your honest feedback with us.

+1 for the desktop planning.

1 Like

And another +1 from me as well!

Ask for flight planning on desktop back in 2017. Why does it take so long for pix4d when drone deploy do it since 2016

@Jukka, Jan and xavier : I have taken note of your votes and comments!

I agree with everyone on here, it would be very usefull to flight plan a bunch of flights on your PC, that you could then us in the mobile app.  I just did this yesterday on 8 flights, and it is not easy to make sure you have the overlap you need.

1 Like

Still Need This ASAP !!!

Getting more and more jobs out in the middle of nowhere and i need to preplan missions! too clunky to do it on site.

Please hurry up!!!

Hi Rich,

Thank you for your feedback. We all agree that planning flights from a PC would be very convenient for users. However, it is not in the pipeline now. I will share your interest with the developer’s team so that they consider to implement this feature with a higher priority in the future.

Note that it is possible to preplan mission using Pix4Dcapture on both iOS and Android version:

• On the flight planning view, select the desired parameters. (overlap, flight height…)
  • Move the flight grid to the location where you want to make data acquisition.
  • Save your mission and reopen it when on site.

Best,

another reason you guys need to implement desktop planning and KML import,

clouds are blocking the area i need to map out and street maps have no features to limit my flight boundaries.

As this area is being constructed on I need to be able to  plan a flight so i dont fly over any residential properties.

1 Like

I would like this capability also, to be able to plan missions on the desk pc and then transfer to the ipad or appropriate device.

Another program I use and works well (Litchi) allows this and that’s how most if not all of my original missions are planned. Soon I’ll be comparing the abilities of the Pix4DCapture app vs what I already have just for way-points and image capture.

Dan, I don’t think it will ever happen, at least until folks stop buying their product and switch to the competition.  They have stated in this thread that they have no plans to do it.  Unbelievable, but it is what it is.

@Dan

Thank you for joining the conversation and providing us with some additional product feedback. I will make note of your request and will pass it on to our development team.

@Tim

Although we may not have an active update on this feature, our team still actively monitors this thread. If an additional user aks for this tool we make sure to forward their request to our development team. As you have stated, at this time we are not actively working on a desktop mission planning tool. 

Thanks Joshua.  It would be nice if they did.  Do you mind me asking what is the reason they are not providing the desktop functionality?  That would help shed some light on why it is not in the works.