Corrputed zip file from pix4dcatch

I have captured 1054 images using pix4dcatch on an iPhone 8.
I would like to export them as a zip file.
The app crashed the first time it tried to compress them.
Now every time I export the zip file, both a mac and a PC claim the zip file is corrupted.
Is there any way to clear the zip file and get the app to recompress it?
It doesn’t matter whether I export to GDrive, Airdrop or any other way, the same corrupted file is transferred.
Is there another way to export the image files directly?
thanks

1 Like

Hello,

We’ve detected a potential issue where a corrupted zip file could be cached by the app in a situation where there is not much room left one the device. iOS should periodically clear the cache to free space but there doesn’t seem to be a way to trigger it manually.
We are investigating the issue.

Kind Regards,

George Brown

Hello @tomhannen ,

We just released version 1.2.3 with a fix for this issue. Any previously created corrupt ZIP should be detected and removed, and the export will try again. There should be no loss of data.

Kind Regards,

George Brown

1 Like

Installed the android version 1.1.2(194) on a Samsung S9+ phone yesterday. Getting corrupt zip file error after exporting. Cleared the cache and got the same error. Running android version 10.

Would also like to know what the range distance would be.

Thanks much

Hello,
@nancy.h.lewis how many images are you trying to export?

Hi Christina,

Only 7 images.

Also wondering what the range/distance is for this app. Can I generate point cloud data at about 20 meters away?

Thanks,

Nancy

image001.jpg

Hi Nancy,

Thank you for reporting the issue with the corrupted zip file. Our team is looking into it.
If you agree, you can send us the corrupted .zip, and we will analyze it.

Regarding the range/distance, Pix4Dcatch is optimized for up to 5-10m, but reconstructions could also be achieved further away, and it depends on the needed detail. We suggest you adapt your distance to the object you want to reconstruct according to your camera parameters and the Ground Sampling Distance (GSD) that you want to achieve. You can calculate the value using our GSD calculator.

If you have any question feel free to post here below.

Cheers

Hi Daniele,

Another question that I have. Is the following possible:

I want to have a construction inspector use Pix4Dcatch to document a small excavation site. This would be processed in Pix4D cloud. We have control points on buildings and signs near the site (about 100 ft away). These can be seen in the photos, but are beyond what the range of the generated las file from catch.

Because the catch information is not referenced to a coordinate system but I can see several of the control points in the photos, is there a way either in cloud or in mapper where I can reference the data to the control. I would use viDoc but I’m next to buildings so I hope this is an alternative.

Hope this makes sense. We currently have a license for mapper that we use for drone data, but I need something more like cloud with catch for our construction users.

Thank you,

Nancy

1 Like

Hi Nancy,

Thank you for your message. If you can see the GCPs in your images but are beyond the extent of the rayCloud, you can use Pix4Dmapper and use the Basic GCP/MTP Editor.

You can find more information here:

Note that, as you already said, with viDoc RTK rover, the project is expected to be properly georeferenced and this would eliminate the need for GCPs but the building can reflect or block the GNSS signal as also described in the Best Practices:

Let us know about your results.

Cheers

I am having the same issue I have a Samsung note 20 ultra that I have used with success in the past to export all files. There is just over a 1349 images I am trying to export. I am creating the zip on the device then pulling it from the phone to pc using a cable. I have also tried creating the file on a mounted SD card with the same effect. I did try to clear pix4Dcatch cache already. I just tried it with a file I have previously exported with the same error.

Hi @dot.sm.mo.geotech.lab , Thank you for your feedback and welcome to the Pix4D Community.

Which version of PIX4Dcatch are you using? Is the same issue happening with all projects?
What is the size of the .zip file?

Hi @dot.sm.mo.geotech.lab
In addition to my latest suggestion/reply, please also try the following:

1. Move the .zip folder to your PC.
  2. Unzip using “7-Zip > Extract Files”

Let me know if this helps

Hi @dot.sm.mo.geotech.lab,

Do you have any updates on this topic? Would it be possible, eventually, to send us a copy of the .zip file?

Thank you for your help and kind regards,
Daniele

I’ve had the same issue. My method for success so far is to save the .zip in the device, extract all, then copy the folder across