Changing axial planes / orientation of the point cloud

Hello,

I am currently processing a rock outcrop and my concern for processing is its orientation. I want the rockwall to be at a particular direction so I would be able to take either an orthofacade/orthomosaic for structural data. Using geo-reference, it is accurate. But when making an orthofacade, I am not sure what is the true angle of the rockwalls slope. I have tried using the “new orientation constraint”, but I am having no luck with making that accurate. 

Is there a way where to make a point of origin within the point cloud so that the directional orientations would match up with true north, east, etc.?

Thank you!

This is a very in depth question, please let me know if I need to rephrase.

Best regards,

-AT

Hi AT,

I would like to mention that Orthofacades are not georeferenced.
I just saw your comment under the “How to create the orthomosaic of a facade”.
With respect to this, I would to mention a workaround that has been proposed by some of our users.
To edit an orthofacade, you should trick the software by changing the coordinates of your images (before processing) in order to make it display horizontally and then you will be able to edit with the mosaic editor.

However, about the “New Orientation Constraint”, 

It is possible to set a scale and orient the model by changing the coordinate system to arbitrary and adding either 2 or 3 Virtual GCPs using 2 or 3 points with known distances:

1. Change the coordinate system of the GCPs to local:

1.1. On the menu bar click  Project > GCP / Manual Tie Point Manager…
1.2. In the GCP Coordinate System, click  Edit.
1.3. In the Select Coordinate System, select  Arbitrary Coordinate System.
1.4. (optional) By default the unit selected is meters (m), click the  m  and change to  ft  if feet are used.  
1.5. In the Select Coordinate System pop-up window, click  OK.
1.6. In the GCP / Manual Tie Point Manager, click  OK.

1. a) Add 2 virtual GCPs (Use 2 points if the distance between GCP1 and GCP2 is known.)
  2. b) Add 3 virtual GCPs: (Use 3 points forming a 90º angle, for example GCP1, GCP2 and GCP3 where the distance between GCP1 and GCP2 and the distance between GCP1 and GCP3 are known.)

fakegcps.jpg
    3. Reoptimize the project.

Using Arbitrary Coordinate system could be a way to set the point of origin of your project:

How-to-compute-the-Site-Calibration-for-GCPs-in-an-Arbitrary-Coordinate-System

Hope this will help.
Geology Rocks BTW :wink:

Best