Best viDoc RTK rover Workflow?

I have a viDoc RTK (iPad) and a subscription to Mapper and Cloud advanced. I want to merge nadir and oblique data from P4DMapper with terrestrial data from the viDoc RTK (P4DCatch).

What is the workflow to accomplish this?

Hi Wes,

Given the combination of aerial and terrestrial datasets one workflow could be:

1. Use the viDoc RTK rover with PIX4Dcatch to measure ground control points(GCPs) adequately distributed throughout the project area. Some GCPs in regions with close proximity to the merging of aerial and terrestrial data would be helpful to have. The articles How to collect GCPs with PIX4Dcatch and viDoc RTK rover, Using GCPs, and Manual Tie Points and GCPs in merged project can provide further information.
  2. Fly the aerial mission. It would be advised to achieve the best possible ground sampling distance(GSD) allowed with the hardware being used. This is to try to get the aerial and terrestrial GSDs as close as possible. Be certain to include ample overlap into regions where it is to merge with the terrestrial data. The article Ground sampling distance (GSD) in photogrammetry can provide further information.
  3. Capture the terrestrial dataset. Given the presence of GCPs, it will not be necessary to capture with the viDoc RTK rover. Be certain to include ample overlap into regions where it is to merge with the aerial dataset. The article Capturing a dataset - PIX4Dcatch can provide further information when capturing a project.
  4. Process each dataset separately in PIX4Dmapper to include the GCPs. Then merge the projects into one. It might be helpful to add manual tie points when merging the projects together. The article How to merge projects, Manual Tie Points and GCPs in merged project, and How to export PIX4Dcatch projects (iOS/Android) can provide further information.

*Steps 2 and 3 are interchangeable.

I would be curious to hear if there are any other workflows being used as well.

-Jon