Best solution practices for roadway reconstruction?

I notice that often there is a lot of noise in reconstructions of roadways after point cloud densification:

Trying to find the root to this problem, I take a look at the ATPs. Some are floating above the roadway which are obvious errors that would lead to bad densification:

It turns out that this point was solved using 3 cameras:

These 3 cameras are spatially very close to each other. The feature is also visible in more distant cameras. Wouldn’t the triangulation/trilateration be more accurate if cameras far from one another are used? Is there a way to enforce this in the processing settings?

Hello,

I would like to know more information to investigate the issue further. Would you please upload the quality report? It will be helpful to understand the project.

Kind regards,

Try an increasing minimum matches to 6 in the point cloud densification step. Should provide a much cleaner point cloud.

Thank you very much for sharing the information!

Thanks for the suggestion Andrew. It makes sense, given that all the problem ATPs seem to only be reprojected properly in 3 images.

However, I would like to correct the problem at its source, which is the ATP inaccuracy itself. There are some options in initial processing that I feel should help in theory. For example, there is “Use Capture Time,” “Use Triangulation of Image Geolocation,” “Use Distance,” “Use Image Similarity,” “Use Time for Multiple Cameras,” “Use Geometrically Verified Matching.”

I have tried a combo of these settings but I can’t quite fix the root triangulation issue, i.e., that I want my ATPs to be calculated from cameras that are spatially as far apart as possible. I only have so much time to iterate through the settings, guessing and checking them… I was hoping for something smarter than guess and check.

Eu verifiquei situações semelhantes em superfícies refletivas, asfalto quente, água etc… Até hoje não consegui tratar esse problema em sua raiz, somente com edição da nuvem de pontos desabilitando esses pontos discrepantes. Muito trabalhoso e demorado.
Eu adoraria conhecer uma solução definitiva aplicada à raiz do problema.

Hi Daniel,

Yes it seems like there should be a smarter way. At the very least, Pix4D should make it possible to delete or disable these obviously erroneous ATPs prior to densification so that little to no cleaning is required of the point cloud (which is based on the ATPs). This would also improve other subsequent objects that are ultimately based on ATP quality, such as the mesh (which is based on the point cloud) and I believe also the orthomosaic (which is partially based on the texturing of the mesh).

I firmly believe the root to the issue is the computation of the ATP from cameras that are spatially close together. The vertical estimation of the point in the cameras’ frames is extremely sensitive to small errors in camera horizontal positioning. A more robust estimate of the 3D location of an ATP can be made from camera’s with a greater baseline/separation.

Take another example:

The obviously erroneous ATP is indicated with the red arrow. It was found from 3 images that were taken spatially very close to one another. From more distant cameras, we see that the reprojection error is massive (black arrows). By all Pix4D metrics, however, it thinks it did a great job with the ATP (blue arrows). I believe those error metrics are based only on the 3 marked images and don’t take into account the reprojection error of the images with the black arrows. I suppose the feature of interest was not automatically identified in those photos, so Pix4D couldn’t calculate the reprojection error anyway and it has no idea how far off it truly is.

So Pix4D can only recognize the feature commonly in the 3 neighboring photos. If that is the case, then I need a setting that forces Pix4D to either use more than 3 photos for ATP computation, or calculate ATPs using cameras that are spatially separated by an acceptable amount. The flight was flown in an Aerial Grid track, so the default settings should’ve been acceptable:

I am interested in the “Use Distance” option, which is unchecked for an aerial grid flight (I would want to know the theoretical justification for this). The documentation on this option is vague and unclear: https://support.pix4d.com/hc/en-us/articles/205433155-Menu-Process-Processing-Options-1-Initial-Processing-Matching

I quote:

" Use Distance: Only available if the images have geolocation. It is useful for oblique or terrestrial projects. Each image is matched with images within a relative distance.

• Relative Distance Between Consecutive Images: It allows the user to set the relative distance. "

My images have geolocation. I don’t care to be told when it is useful. I want to understand what this option does. “Each image is matched with images within a relative distance” is unclear for me. It almost sounds like this option specifies and upper limit on the distance between matched features between images, whereas I actually want to specify a lower limit.

And finally “It allows the user to set the relative distance” for the description of “Relative Distance Between Consecutive Images” is basically restating the setting.

Again, the root to the problem is in the extremely sensitive triangulation due to closely separated cameras. I just need a setting to override that.

Olá Evan.
Deixe-me compartilhar contigo os meus resultados

Om esta configuração do 2º passo.

Agora veja essa mesma área mudando apenas o número mínimo de fotos

Com esta configuração do passo 2º.

Por fim uma outra coisa que notei é que recobrimentos muito altos, tipo 85% x 80% apresentam mais problemas de pontos discrepantes.
Espero ter ajudado.

Hi Daniel,

Thank you for the information. It makes sense to me now that the project with high overlap has large outliers. There seems to be a sweet spot for overlap that is dependent on flight altitude. If you are flying high with large overlap, then the triangulation of ATP vertical position will be extremely sensitive to errors in camera horizontal position.

Best,

Evan