best computer for me

Hello everybody, I have a Dell PowerEdge R730 two processors Xeon E5-2620 v4 64 GB RAM 10 TB SAS and Nvidia Quadro RTX 8000 GPU What is the best Hardwares for me to make a project of 3000 images at a height of 500 meters and a resolution of 24 megapixels and to finish the process in two days?

Hi @adel1993ramaz

I would recommend going through the computer requirement here. Computer requirements - PIX4Dmapper

As your project consists of 3000 images and 24MB resolution, you would probably want to aim for

• Very Large projects (1000 - 2000 images at 14 MP): 64 GB RAM, 120 GB SSD Free Space.

A tip for the processing option would be to choose 1/2 for the image scale.
If this still does not get you to finish processing in two days, you could also split the project.

On the other hand, you can also give PIX4Dmatic a try. It is specialized in processing large projects with shorten amount of processing time. More info: Recommended hardware - PIX4Dmatic

Regards,
Rosana

Hi Rosana,

Thank you for your response!

If I make 1/2 for the image scale, I will get a low accuracy of the project Am I correct?
I really need accuracy in my project

As for the project split,
Will it take me a long time to merge the split projects or is it the right solution?

I really need a solution to get a project with excellent accuracy using 3000 images with a resolution of 24 megapixels and in a short time? Is this possible with my device?

Or do I have to upgrade my device and if this is the only solution what is the right option for me?

Thank you in advance!

Hi @adel1993ramaz

When changing from 1 to 1/2 for the image scale, indeed this usually results in a slightly reduced accuracy because fewer features will be extracted. Menu Process > Processing Options… > 1. Initial Processing > General

Indeed, it will take some time to split and merge. Before merging the project, the 4 main steps include 1) creating a new project for each sub block, 2) process step 1, 3) identifying MTPs, and 4) reoptimizing the project. Keep in mind that there should be a minimum of three MTPs that have the same name and point to the same feature on both of the projects. You can find out more about How to merge projects here.

For this 3000 images project, I highly recommend giving PIX4Dmatic a try if you want a project to finish within 2 days. You can use the 15-day free trial. For this project using PIX4Dmatic, you do not need to split the project. Your device also is compatible based on the article here: Recommended hardware - PIX4Dmatic. Just having in mind that PIX4Dmatic can process images captured by practically any camera as long as the images contain the necessary EXIF/XMP (metadata) tags. The yaw, pitch, roll values (and not omega, phi, kappa) are needed in order to process the project if the images are not taken with any of the precalibrated cameras.

Best regards,
Rosana (she/her)

1 Like

Hi Rosana,
Thanks for your reply,

I want to ask you how I can get the original version of the pix4dmatic and how much it costs.

Best regards,

Hi @adel1993ramaz,

No problem. Our pleasure.

You can download PIX4Dmatic here: https://www.pix4d.com/download/pix4dmatic
Same as PIX4Dmapper, you can get a 15-day free trial for PIX4Dmatic, too.

For the price, our Sales team knows much more than I do. You could contact them via this link https://www.pix4d.com/contact.

Best regards,
Rosana (she/her)

1 Like

Thank you very much for your help, Rosana

I wish you the best in your job

With a moderately priced workstation you can easily process 3,000 images in two days. Less than one day most likely. Refer to this article from Puget Systems. It’s a little outdated, but for a project this size I would get a Ryzen 7950X, 128gb memory, nvidia RTX 30 series, and a 2-4tb nvme ssd. Total cost should be less than $6,000.

I have a very similar setup, except with the previous generation 5950X cpu. I can process a 2,500 42-mp project in about 12 hours.