[Android Beta] - Phantom 3 Professional / Advanced and Inspire 1

@Jonas: When P4D file from the Mission Manager has been exported with all images from SD card and has been imported to PIX4D mapper I get some error messages that some img files are needed (but does not exist on sd card)

Yeah, that is a problem: we cannot know the name of the images on the SD card, and we cannot know if the drone took a picture or not (we could with the P2, but it changed with the new drones). So we are trying to guess the names of the images (based on the number of images on the SD card, mainly), and it can go wrong. You should try to format the SD card of the drone and never remove images from it (i.e. either you completely format it, or you don’t touch it. If you remove one random image, then the p4d will fail).

Sorry for that, but we don’t have more access with the current state of the SDK.

Just tried the beta for Inspire with DJIs latest beta, and it would not work for me anyhow.
It communicated ok with the app, but but said that battery level was 0% and ground station connection failed, even though it knew how far away it was and what height.
The button press and hold for 3 secs would not establish, nor would the press to take pics in free flight mode.

I tested the capture app for the first time and most of the things worked fine. And most of it went well :).

Here are my findings/questions:

• Due to sunblind which I used for my Nexus 9, I have to mount the tablet upside-down so that the buttons do not interfere with the sunblind.
    Normally not a challenge, as the tablet is aware of its position and adapts accordingly. Not while using the capture app. It stayed upside-down during the whole mission.
  • Is there a way to download maps previous to being on site? I tested the app in an area with bad coverage and had issue to download the map within an acceptable timeline.
  • Pictures quality. The app does jpeg pictures but for my business I would need to have an even better resolution. Is there a way to add raw images?
  • The pictures contain the height in relative numbers. But for a DSM I need the absolute values not the relative ones
    Thank you,
    Martin

I have phantom 3 advanced. Just crashes once drone connects. Anyone have a helfull tip?

1.Just an update on my spinning issue with the inspire 1. I loaded the capture app on a new device (Nexus 7) and all the spinning has stopped. Other then at takeoff. So it looks like it was something with the install or maybe the device I originally used.
2. Also not sure if this is normal but when sizing my grid if it goes to the large grid it won’t let me start the mission. So I think if possible the grid sizes need to be larger. I did 3 missions with 1 battery at the maximum grid size that it would let me start.

Hi,

I have a nexus 6 running Android 5.1.1 when I go to start a mission the ground station fails every time. Everything else is checked off green except the on the P3P. I restarted everything multiple times and it still won’t connect. Please advise…

@quinton: do you have the beta firmware from DJI (here: http://dev.dji.com/en/products/sdk/mobile-sdk/downloads)?
@Martin:

• For now, we only have the landscape mode =/. That was motivated by the live video stream actually…
  • We plan to improve on that, but right now you can use the memory cache: as long as you don’t quit the App, up to 100M of the map stay in the memory.
  • It is not possible right now, but we will think about it!
  • You are right: the drone should write the GPS altitude instead of the above ground altitude. We write the GPS altitude in the p4d file, though. Can you try to export the P4D file from the Mission Manager?
    @mal: We are working on the P3A, stay tuned!
    @Bill:
  • Version 2.0.2 (this week) should fix the spinning issue once for all.
  • It should always allow you to make a bigger mission, except that for now it is limited to 7 lines. This will change (probably in 2.0.3).
    @Justin: Is the P-A-F switch on the “F” position? Which firmware do you use?

@Jonas

• I use the tablet in landscape mode, but flipped around 180° due to the buttons on top. Do you know what I mean? And while flipped, Capture stays upside-down.
  • How do I get the P4D file from the Mission Manager? I use a Nexus 9

@Martin: I see! I will have a look at that! For exporting the P4D, go to the details of the mission in the mission manager and press the “share button” on the upper right corner (next to the “info” icon). It is still not stable on P3/I1, but that might help!

@Jonas

I have the latest beta version 1.2.2.21
I can get everything ticked green except the batttery level which says zero, I believe this is not allowing me to hold the take off button for 3 seconds, as nothing happens.

@ Quinton: The beta should also work with the firmware 1.2.2.21 but we don’t know why the battery level says 0.

If all the checks are not green you can’t launch a mission. From the next release, v 2.0.2 we will add an advanced mode in the option allowing you to ignore some checks in the checklist. If the battery level says 0 you then be able to ignore it and launch the mission nevertheless.

This does not fix the bug with the battery level but it will allow you to launch a mission in the meanwhile.

Regards,

Thank you for the answer, I did fly for a while myself manually on a battery and pix4d capture and the remote controller does still alarm out at 30% (or whatever you have it set for) must be getting the info from the Inspire so it would be OK to bypass the battery saying zero at least, even though you can’t see levels.

Jonas,

I am on Firmware version 1007 for the P3P and yes the controller is in the F position

Did a couple of flights with P3A. Most things work well. Maps look great. Did open areas (25ha) and 2 shopping centers (±13ha each).

Problems:
Drone spins on waypoints for about 1minute per waypoint on 100m. On lover altitudes it is shorter.
Sometimes the drone skips a photo or 2 on every line.
App force closes if you power up the drone before app is open.
App strugles to exit.
Video streaming in free flight lags or gets stuck.
Camera does not go vertical by itself.

Suggestiond:
See map and video stream at the same time while flying.
Perhaps voice prompt to tell you if the drone is landing or RTH when battery is low.
Display what the camera angle is while flying.
Ability to take manual photos on areas that were missed.
Finetune speed. Perhaps typing in 5m/s. The slowest speed is 6.8m/s at the moment. When a photo is missed on lower altitude, overlap is an issue.
Ability to set altitude in free flight.

@Justin: What about Capture 2.0.2?
@quinton: We don’t set the alarm on the remote controller ;-). By the way, now that I think about it, it might be that you cannot bypass the battery check in 2.0.2: you will be able to take off but the drone will directly stop the mission because you have less than 20% battery. I will fix that for 2.0.3, sorry for that!
@Deneys: Thanks for the feedback about the P3A! The spinning problem should be fixed in 2.0.2. For the missed images, I am not sure if it is about the speed (i.e. transmission delay) or if the camera just missed those images. If you set the speed level to 1, it is already quite slow actually… Thanks for the issues and suggestions, we will do our best for that!

I am using the most updated app that was released today I believe it is 2.0.2 I also tried a nexus 4 on android 5.1.1 and still cant get the ground station to check off to start the flight. Any ideas?

@Justin, just checking but are you sure your IOC switch is in the “F” position, as you wont get a green check unless it is (I didn’t read that part at the start :).
Also for others I take it IOC actually has to be disabled in the Inspire app too for this to work?

On the P3P I have tried the app today and the app will not sync from the aircraft to the app on the android device. So, I copied them off manually and posted the to the pro program.

Question to Developer

Regarding hardware, Would it make a difference in terms of app performance and communication with the drones if we used a high end device like a Nvidia Shield tablet versus a standard phone?

Considering the use of phones, what would happen is a phone call or e-mail comes in?
What means if the software using to communicate with the drone? Is it Wifi?