Add more geoid models for Pix4DMapper

I agree.

1 Like

We are also interested in getting Local Geoid Models included in MAPPER (as mentioned above geoids such as NZVD16 are also important for our purposes too).

I see that MATIC has this functionality so it would be great to see it in MAPPER too.

Having to use additional software to update coordinates or 3D GCP to shift accurately positioned photos doesn’t provide a good workflow or sense of accuracy.

2 Likes

I find it really frustrating that this feature request has not been implemented by Pix4D.

We have tried the Pix4DMatic/Survey combination and, while the data turnaround is quicker, the quality of output is definitely not up to the standard of Mapper. I think Pix4D are well aware of this and know that if they implement additional Geoid definitions to Mapper, it will see an exodus of customers away from Matic/Survey.

The options suggested of using GCPs or ellipsoid height values aren’t practical on surveys of any size. Too many GCPs are required removing operational efficiency and the ellipsoidal separation value varies, even over short distances. This isn’t good enough for survey work.

We have been processing the image geolocation data externally prior to bringing it into Mapper, this is time consuming and defeats the object of using the Pix4D software. We have talked extensively with some of our drone support departments, many of whom share concerns about Matics quality, and have been suggested that a transition to Metashape would be our best option at this time, as they provide better geoid support for our needs.

Its a real pity as Pix4DMapper ticks so many boxes for us, but just don’t seem to want to address this issue.

3 Likes

Hello,

I am currently in the process of testing different software for our business. Is the suport of local geoid for Mapper something planned at all ? Matic doesn’t quite suits our needs since we also do a lots of buildings. I know it’s possible to add local geoid in Bentley’s context capture (and Metashape as well as per this thread but haven’t personnaly tested it. I work for an engineering firm in Canada and I don’t see cases where we don’t need to add our local geoid.

Hello @charlesgagnontt, Currently, we don’t have any plans to add a new geoid on PIX4Dmapper. If thing changes, it will be posted in our PIX4Dmapper release note. I recommend following that page

As you already know that we are supporting a new geoid in PIX4Dmatic, I would recommend you try it to see if that meets your requirements.