Accurate Geolocation and Orientation

What matching parameters should I use when using the “Accurate Geolocation and Orientation” calibration Method.

It seems when using this Calibration Method, the model comes out worse then using STANDARD Calibration Method.

Can you advise on the settings??

Hey IT Services,

You should only select “Accurate Geolocation and Orientation” calibration option only when you are using a high accuracy RTK Drone/GPS. I would normally use “Alternative” calibration option over Standard calibration. Alternative calibration method would produce more accurate results than Standard calibration method. 

Hello, 

The “Accurate Geolocation and Orientation” assumes that there is very high accuracy IMU data (coordinates + omega, phi, kappa angles). It will rely more on these to do the image calibrations, if these are not accurate the calibration will fail in the majority of cases. A typical example where this would be used, would be for planes with a high quality IMU and camera. 

As for the Alternative, it is mostly recommended for nadir projects for flat terrains that have low texture content such as agricultural fields. That’s probably where you had most success with this calibration method @Selim

More about the calibration methods in this article: 
https://support.pix4d.com/hc/en-us/articles/205327965-Menu-Process-Processing-Options-1-Initial-Processing-Calibration#label2 

As for the initial question about matching parameters, usually the “Accurate Geolocation and Orientation” is combined with the “Aerial grid or corridor” matching options. 

1 Like

Hey Pierangelo,

Yeah I am only working with the agriculture projects, and it seems like the alternative calibration method is  working better than other calibration methods.

Hey Selim, 

Yes, it’s meant for such projects and is set by default on the Ag processing options templates :)