Why does pix4D work better with bigger motion between Images?

Hey guys,

so I slowly flow low above the ground with a high frame-rate. When I used all the captured Images, which had few motion between them, Pix4D failed to calibrate most of the Images. Contrary to that when I used every 4th Image of that data set it was able to calibrate most of the Camera positions. Why is that? I would have assumed more Images = more Information + more Overlap = better results! How is the pix4D algorithm working and what is the sweet spot of the motion between Images?

Hi @gian,

May I ask what camera are you using and what the actual overlap was?

Best,

Hi @gian,

The outcome depends on a lot of things.
It depends on what you are trying to capture and reconstruct, what is the flight height and how close you are to the object you are capturing as well as how complex the area is. If the capturing rate is very high resulting in a very high overlap (higher tha 95%), and the flight height low this can cause a lot of uncalibrated images. You have to find the optimal way to make your mission.
As the image acquisition plan has a high impact on the quality of the results, it is important to design it carefully. Please have a look at the article below:

Best,