Wall Scans??

Greetings. I’m looking for an option to convert residential exterior imaging to 3d point cloud data. Projects are never larger than single family residences. Will this product work? For almost all projects I can be within 5-10m from the surface being scanned.

It depends on the wall. For example, white walls will be harder to reconstruct as there are not enough keypoints. Walls need to have some color contrast or texture. You can use Pix4Dcatch to capture the images and then process them locally in Pix4Dmapper or on the Cloud using Pix4Dcloud. You can use our trial versions to see if it works. Let us know if they have any questions.

Warm regards,

All exterior walls that I can think of would have texture. White, stucco or concrete walls will still have depth and variation to them in real life so I would assume that could/would translate into probably scan success. I’ll look into playing with this if you think it could be fruitful.
I know the accuracy discussion has been touched a time or two but with large scans, like a 50’ wall segment, should markers or some sort of extent dimension be used to ensure accuracy?

Greetings. I’m looking for an option to convert residential exterior imaging to 3d point cloud data. Projects are never larger than single family residences. Will this product work? For almost all projects I can be within 5-10m from the surface being scanned.

I believe it would be better if you try it and see how it goes. Regarding the accuracy, if you want to improve the absolute accuracy, you can add GCPs to improve. For the relative accuracy, you can use scale constraint (How to scale a project), but normally, it should work without scale constraint.

Kind regards,

Hi Craig
Thanks for writing to us. Did you give Pix4Dcatch a try with your projects? I’m interested in knowing how it went.
Could you please let me know which mobile device you use? If it is one of the recent iPhones or iPads powered with LiDAR, you could enable the “process with depth” option that has been optimized for homogenous surfaces such as walls.

Looking forward to hearing from you.

Thanks and kind regards
Amritha

Hi Amritha,
Frankly, I’m not looking to blaze a new trail here. I’m partially curious if the “Pix” methods would justify the hardware upgrade and without having a solid answer from the devs whether a large item, like a facade, would be feasible I don’t feel comfortable investing the time to figure it out. The personal LiDAR equipped smart devices seem great but in their infancy. Unless someone has established and effective methods at this stage of development I can’t help but think it’s too early for me to transition over. It’s a shame but I just don’t have the resource of time enough to figure it all out right now. If I’m missing something please correct me! Best,
Craig

1 Like