Pix4D storage

Hi all,
I would like to know which is the best way to store Pix4D data. At the moment I have all the projects on a server. The issue is that the more I add projects in this way the more Pix4D gets slower/has crashes. So I was wondering if you suggest a different way to use the system, and store its data. Also do you think that having a lot of projects saved in the same spot may cause this type of losses in Pix4D performances?
Thanks a lot for your time

Hi,

we do not recommend storing Pix4dfields data on a remote location such as a network drive or Nas, this will lead to performance issues.

You can archive projects with the export project option for now.

Bests,

Thank you Julius, do you think in the future something will change about storage? Because have a lot of project on the same Hdd/ssd it’s hard to do. A big capacity hdd is not fast and a very fast ssd normaly doesn’t have a lot of capacity….

Hey there,
Crashes can be caused by storing too many projects on your server can slow down Pix4D. You can try these tricks:

1. Archive Old Projects: Move them to an external drive or cloud storage.
  2. Organize Data: Separate projects into different folders or drives.
  3. Upgrade Server: Ensure it has enough CPU, RAM, and storage.
  4. Regular Maintenance: Keep the server clean and optimized.
    These steps should help improve performance.

Is it possible to use a cloud storage location such as OneDrive or SharePoint where the files are ultimately stored in a cloud, but locally as well. OneDrive allows one to keep files local on a device, and I’m sure this would be necessary while processing, but then once the files are no longer regularly used, it offloads them to the cloud. If they are needed in the future it’ll download them to the local location. This is different than a network storage location or NAS where the files aren’t actually on the machine utilizing them.

I use OneDrive for all of my Fields data storage and have had no issues. With a M365 family plan, I setup my biz as one family member which gives me 1TB of storage for all my Fields data.

1 Like