Support Website Contact Support Blog

Parrot Sequoia RGB Images Blurry?

Testing a Parrot Bluegrass with Sequoia Sensor.  Ran it at highest speed on a bright sunny day, 130 feet AGL.  The images for the other bands look like I would expect for that altitude and the sensor resolution. The detail is uniform throughout the image.  However the detail in the RGB images appear to be non-uniform with bands of blurriness.  (See example provided)  I have not idea if this is normal since I’ve never used this sensor before.  I would expect due to the tight integration between Pix4D and Sequoia that the software engineers wouldn’t provide a setting that would be essentially incompatible with the sensor (too fast of a flight speed).  But then that begs the question why allow there to be a setting at all?  Maybe the answer is, to slow it down if the images are blurry (LOL.)  

https://i.imgur.com/dP7bDIM.jpg

I need to do some actual shots where the lighting may be lower with overcast instead of sunny.  My gut is saying if the issue really is due to drone speed then it will be worse in lower lighting.  Can the ISO setting of the RGB sensor be raised or can all I do is lower the drone speed? Or is this how the images typically look and the fast setting is pretty reliable?

Was running at 75% overlap.  

Hi,

Sometimes, a noticeable rolling shutter effect can happen on Sequoia RGB camera. We usually recommend to fly higher and to reduce the speed of the UAV, in order to reduce the rolling shutter effect. If you are using a quadcopter, a gimbal would reduce the high frequency vibrations on the camera and might also attenuate this effect.

We use rolling shutter correction for the RGB sensor of sequoia, but if the speed is too much, the algorithm cannot correct for it very accurately. I would recommend to reduce the speed, that would give better images. If the images themselves are blurry the software will not produce very good outputs. I have got good results at 60 m flight height. For agriculture, we recommend 85% frontal overlap and 70% side overlap.