Large Geotiff

Is there A way to download tiles of the Tiff from the cloud processed projects?

Hi Luke,

Depending on which tiles you are referring to:

If you are referring to orthomosaic tiles, the one that you would obtain after desktop processing, then yes. To download them you will have to export the project to desktop from cloud.

On the other hand, if you are referring to the tiles that we are using to display the orthomosaic in the cloud then no.

Cheers,

Ina

I have a large Geotiff from a very large flight, is there a way to reduce the size of it so that i can bring it into Autocad? I have tried processing it at a lower resolution but it is still a very large file, it is 18,911,261 KB. Any help on this matter would be greatly appreciated.

Hi there,
If the orthomosaic file is too large to be imported in AutoCAD, you could try one of the following workarounds:

Method I : Load each tile of the orthomosaic one by one in AutoCAD (The tiles can be found in this path: C:\Users\User_name\Folder_of_project\Project_name\3_dsm_ortho\2_mosaic\tiles) . Here are the steps for doing this:

1. Drag and drop each orthomosaic tile onto the main view of AutoCAD.
  2. A message asking for an insert point, scale factor and rotation angle will appear, press Enter three times.
  3. Double-click on the main window to zoom in to the orthomosaic.
  4. In command line type GEOREFIMG and press Enter .
  5. Select the orthomosaic and press Enter .
  6. Double-click on the main window to zoom in to the extents of orthomosaic.

Method II : Use another third-party software like the free application Quantum GIS, in order to save the orthomosaic in other output formats.

1. Drag and drop the orthomosaic onto the main view of QGIS.
  2. Right-click on the corresponding layer and click Export > Save As… > choose the desired output format.
  3. Once exported, drag and drop the new orthomosaic onto the main view of AutoCAD.
  4. If a message is asking for an insert point, scale factor and rotation angle, press Enter three times.
  5. Double-click on the main window to zoom in to the orthomosaic.

Method III. Converting the GeoTIFF into a georeferenced .jpg can also generate a smaller orthomosaic file size. Here are the steps we recommend:

1. Convert (Save as…) the GeoTIFF into .jpg using the image converter IrfanView.
  2. Change the extension of the .tfw file that Pix4D generates for the orthomosaic to jgw.
  3. Place the .jpg, the .jgw and the .prj files in one folder. This folder now contains the georeferenced jpg.

In IrfanView, there is also the option to save the image file as .ecw (an extension widely used by AutoCAD users), although we do not guarantee that this works. If you have FME Desktop, this commercial software converts from GeoTIFF to .ecw.

Method IV. You may have already tried this solution, which consists of changing the processing options of Step 3 in order to produce a more manageable file. More information can be found in the article How to reduce the Size of the Orthomosaic.

Hopefully this helps.

Cheers,
Teodora