Issue: Resizing clipping box causes box to "jump"

When resizing the clipping box, especially when I am trying to set it to show a narrow part of the pointcloud, the clippingbox “jumps” horisontally. Sometimes when I let go the resizing pints, they don’t stay where I want them to, and jumps back to the previous position.

Hello ole,

Would you please update it to 4.6.4 and see if the problem persists? If it does, I appreciate it if you could upload a video showing the problem to investigate further.

Well, that was not too easy, as your forum does not allow for video upload. So, I made two videos and exported them as gifs.Gif2 Here is one, as you also have a limit on image size. As you can see, when I release the mouse button after resizing using the green points, the red points jump sideways and I get a mutch wider selection of the pointcloud.

Hi @ole,

Thank you for the gif. Nice idea! Here in the system, we can only visualise the video, once uploaded on YouTube, for instance. Could you please try the same workflow on another computer? We would need confirmation that the issue can be reproduced. Afterwards, I will contact our developers.

Thank you in advance.

Really?
I thought that was Pix4D’s job, to try to reproduce the same errors as was reported.
I’m sorry that I am blunt, but I am less than impressed with the feedback I have had on several problems. Most are not answered, and it seems that you rely purely on your user-base to do bug-tracking -and confirmation. This is unacceptable when we pay as much as we do for this software. I don’t have time for this. I probably will do this anyway, when I have time, or I’ll make time. Because I want to have it fixed. Later.

Dear @ole

I am sorry to hear you are not happy with the level of support you received.
I can ensure you that we take all constructive feedback into consideration and we do our best to help our customers through our different channels.

Regarding the issue you described in this post, we were not able to reproduce it and no other customer has reported it (at least not to my knowledge). This is why, as my colleague Beata mentioned, we need to check if it is a hardware related issue (for example you may need to update your GPU drivers).

Please also note that our Community is a place where our customers meet to exchange ideas and solve issues. We do monitor it closely, but we cannot guarantee an answer to every technical issue.
We do our best to be as present as possible.
Our customers with a valid Support and Updates license can also contact us here for questions about Pix4Dmapper.

Thank you again for the constructive feedback.
We are looking forward to hearing from you.
Christina

Hey,
I just wanted to post a topic on the same issue. I am currently on 4.6.4 but the problem has existed ever since I started using Pix4D in early 2017 (on a different PC).
Attached my system configuration, but I dont see how that should be the problem.
Thanks.

edit: I think the problem is that somehow the box can save a minimal size of 5m for each axis. If you make axis A smaller than that it will bug as soon as you touch any other axis, because it will reset axis A to the value saved in the box-parameters:

There might also be a problem with saving the position, but I don’t have the time right now to test for this.

Thank you for the detailed description. We will check internally and get back to you.

Thank you very much for the post. It’s very helpful and I appreciate it. You are right that the issue arrives when it is less than 5 meters. We will investigate further for the issue.

Kind regards,

Hi, I’m a little bit late on this one since I’m a new user, but I can report that I am experiencing the same issue with the clipping box as well.

The problem could be related to the 3D graphics optimization settings of the graphics card. Selecting “Let the 3D application decide” could be the solution to this issue.

1. From the NVIDIA Control Panel navigation tree pane, under 3D Settings , select Adjust image settings with preview

The options on the page enable you to change the image and rendering settings of your 3D applications that utilize Direct3D and OpenGL technology.

1. Select the option Let the 3D application decide .

I also recommend updating to the latest version of PIX4Dmapper if you have not updated it yet. Hope this helps to solve the issue.

Kind regards,

It’s been a while since I have seen this kind of unhelpful support.

No, it’s not. My settings are as you describe they should be.
And the issue is not fixed by updating.

The issue is a reported bug. (I hope.)
I assume you use some sort of bugtracker and know exactly what bugs are fixed in each update.
Random “try this, it might fix the issue.” is not helpful, and therefore not wanted.
This is not even bothered tested on your own device, else it would have been a known fix.

It’s just a bug. In Pix4Dmapper. Please fix it.

Hi @ole,

Thank you for your message.
My colleague Yuka suggested that the issue might be related to the 3D graphics optimization settings of the graphics card because we have records that, in at least one case, this helped a customer solve the issue.

The issue is correctly reported in our system, and we were able to reproduce it.
I will make sure the developers consider this for future fixes.

Thank you for understanding.

Thanks, that was the information I was looking for.

• It is a reported issue.
  • The issue is known to developers.
  • Developers might fix it.

Hi @ole

Yes, it was reported. I will comment here on any additional information.

Hi,
I add myself to the list: I’ve already set the Nvidia panel as mentionned and I’m using Pix4DMapper 4.8.1, but still I have troubles when I try to make a perfect movement with the clipping box.

To be specific, each time I reduce a side to less than 5m with a rapid move, the clipping box jumps back to an intermediate point between the original position and the desired one, and if I retry with a slower move, I can finally set a slice-shaped box; sometimes it happens in the opposite situation, when I have a slice-shaped box and I just want to enlarge it 1m more: in this case, it jumps over the desired position, but I cannot find a specific pattern related to the start lenght or the speed of the mouse.

As @Geo_Metrik noticed, you cannot set a less-than-5m lenght in XYZ, so this annoying jump happens more often when you actually want a less-than-5m wide clipping box.

So, it could be interesting for the new release to let the user free to set a smaller clipping box, and maybe this will solve the jump case to a reduced, specific, amount of users.

NOTE: if I could use Italian to define the subtle difference between the two scenarios, it would be “se riduco la clipping box a meno di 5m con un trascinamento deciso, si riallarga ad una dimensione intermedia tra la larghezza iniziale e quella desiderata; se invece trascino lentamente, allora son sufficienti due passi concatenati: il primo si resetta a 5m, ed il secondo mi permette finalmente di scendere a meno di 5m; è possibile modificarlo una terza e quarta volta, ma solo se lo faccio subito dopo il secondo passo, altrimenti si torna daccapo al punto di partenza (si resetta a 5m; sarà una questione di caché/renderizzazione?)”

Ciao @giancarlo.patierno,

Thank you for your message and the additional information and description of the issue.
I confirm that the issue is logged, and our team is still looking into it.

I know this topic has been open for almost two years, and the fact that the issue is not fixed yet can be frustrating. Therefore, it is important that all users affected by this problem write on this topic. This will allow us to prioritize the correction.

I hope I can soon come back to you with a solution for this.

Thank you for understanding.

Daniele

Hi @ole and @giancarlo.patierno,

PIX4Dmapper 4.8.3 preview was just released. This version is correcting the issue with resizing the clipping box.

Please let us know if this solves the issue on your side.

See the release notes here:

Download PIX4Dmapper form here:

Hi,
finally I could install the 4.8.3, and it works: I can both set a 0.01x0.01x0.01 m clipping box in the Properties, and I can create a slice of less than 5 m using the clip spheres on the box faces. In both cases, I no longer need a two-steps movement as stated in December. Thanks!

1 Like

Great!

Thank you for your feedback, @giancarlo.patierno. We are happy to hear that this fix is helping you.

Have a nice day!