Initial Processing Automatic Tie Point filtering

Hi,

For the moment the automatic tie points (ATPs) still cannot be edited. If some automatic tie points are not represented accurately, it is showing there are other issues in a project that need to be addressed. There are other factors to consider improving for a better reconstruction such as flight plan, flight height, processing option, use of MTPs, etc.

Adding MTPs help to better align the images thus a better tie point cloud. The MTPs should be added in the problematic areas where there is for instance little overlap and few connections in the model or where you see misalignment. More info: How to add / import and mark manual tie points (MTPs) in the rayCloud

After adding the MTPs it will be needed to rematch and optimize the calibration of step 1. This means all subsequent results (steps 2 and 3) will be removed. More details: Menu Process > Rematch and Optimize

Have in mind that ATPs are not taken into account to generate the DSM or the DTM, only the points coming from the densification process.

Best,
Rosana

To all the Pix4d staff, donā€™t waste anyoneā€™s time responding with the, ā€œadd MTPsā€ solution. I have wasted plenty of time adding them, and Pix4d places the images in the correct spot, but still erroneously marks ATPs in the dirt. When I click any of these ATPs after step 1, and zoom out on the images that show the ATP, they are clearly not even close to being the same physical point. Adding MTPs will not fix this problem, only the ability to filter or remove ATPs. Glad someone else mentioned Agisoft. Iā€™ll give that a try as something like this that has been asked for by Pix4d users for going on 8 years now and still is not implemented, clearly shows users how much Pix4d cares. Iā€™m not a professional programmer, but I couldā€™ve figured it out in less than 8 yearsā€¦

Hi krucka.clown,

I hear your frustration, but this in no way indicates how much we ā€œcareā€. We very much do care about our users, and are constantly trying to improve the software based on this feedback.

I would suggest listing this feature request in the PIX4Dmatic feature request board. The visibility would be much better there, plus indicate to the team directly what you would like to see in the software. Other users will be able to vote on these features adding emphasis to the need. The teams concider this feedback directly into future planning.

Regards,
Jon

Hi there

My two cents: It took over 2 years for you guys to release a stable version of Pix4Mapper. Letā€™s see the changleog:
The preview versions did add some minor bugfixes and new cameras but no new features.
Does this look like a software thatā€™s still in development or is it a end-of-life product?

It really makes me sad that when I already own a perpetual license of Pix4dmapper and it doesnā€™t even have proper geoid support after all these years and Pix4Dā€™s solution to that is to try Pix4Dmaticā€¦

Hi Jaakko,

Thank you for your two cents. We do receive feedback and requests regarding the use of geoids in PIX4Dmapper and continue to stand behind the current workflow. PIX4Dmapper and PIX4Dmatic have their differences, we support the use of either solution.

PIX4Dmapper supports three geoid models in the software (egm84, egm96. egm2008) along with the ellipsoid of the selected horizontal system.

While there is no direct way to select a different vertical datum, in cases where this is desired, we support two options:

1. Set the vertical output coordinate system to arbitrary and the vertical GCP coordinate system to arbitrary, but leave the collected GCP coordinates untouched. This will fit and export the reconstruction according to the GCPs assigned reference. In this case, the GCPs will shape and determine the horizontal and vertical position of the project.
  2. Determine the offset between the desired datum and the ellipsoid of the selected horizontal coordinate system and enter this value in the Geoid Height Above the ellipsoid field. This process can be tricky and accuracy can be lost in the conversion and all areas of your project will not be accurately represented vertically as one another(depending on changes in elevation), but these errors are typically minute. For more information: Calculate the offset between ellipsoid and geoid, and When to use the Geoid Height Above the Ellipsoid Function?

Regards,
Jon