how long does it to process 8000 pictures?

I need to do a mapping of 15km2 soon. I want to buy the largest Macbook Pro for this project. Does anybody know how long it takes to process the 8000 pictures in Pix4D?

this are the specs of the macbook:

2,9‑GHz quad‑core Intel Core i7‑processor, Turbo Boost till 3,8 GHz

PCIe‑SSD 2 TB

Radeon Pro 460 wist 4 GB geheugen

Hello Karin,

Your project is a big project and you would need a quite powerful machine. 

The processor is powerful and having an SSD reduces processing time, especially during step 3. You do not mention the amount of RAM available, but we would recommend you to have at least 32 GB for such a big project. 

If you plan to use a Mac device, please keep in mind that you will not take advantage of the GPU processing, which is not implemented in the OS X version. GPU processing takes place in steps 1 and 2 (less) if an Nvidia GPU is available and it can reduce processing time. For more information: https://support.pix4d.com/hc/en-us/articles/203405619.

Also, if a Mac device is used, it is recommended to reboot the machine before processing so as to reset the available amount of RAM used for processing. 

In general, independently of the machine used, we would recommend you to split the project into sub projects of 3000 images, process step 1 and then merge them again. Step 1 is demanding and this way you can make sure that processing is efficient. Steps 2 and 3 handle better the resources and it will be possible to process the merged project if you have a powerful machine. 

Best regards,

I had 3000 images (about 6mb a piece) from beginning to end it took me nearly 12 hours.

This is with the following specs:

i7 5930k

m.2. pcie ssd 512gb

950 pro ssd 1TB

32GB of RAM

NVIDIA 980ti

Thanks a lot!

Hi Karin

How are you? have you done what you have asked?

I am currently processing almost 7000 images and wondering when it could finish and I have dell laptop with MODEL XPS 15 9570, with i78750H CPU

I am trying to figure out do i need to sub project my project and merge it later or just go for full process.

your response will be appreciated.
Thanks
GG

I have done several large flights and recommend breaking them up into several smaller sections and processing 2500 images and less at a time. By doing this you achieve a couple of different things, 1) If you have a problem area you can go back and re-fly that area 2) Usually, unless you have unlimited batteries you can only fly around a 400 acre area in a day, bring that info back and start processing-recharge batteries and setup for the next flight. I am using a matrice 200 with 5 sets of batteries. Make sure you have a minimum of 14 Ground control points per 400 acres using the side GCP’s as overlaps for your next flight (if that makes sense). Depends on what you are trying to achieve.