Export geolocation infomation

Using the software I have noticed that, while in the Mosaic Editor view I can see the coordinate locations of the each pixel in the resulting image. I’m wondering if there is a way to export that information in a way which can be later related to the image (ie. a matrix of lat,lon for each pixel).

I have found this article, however the option it tells me to click (To File) does not exist.

Thank you.

Hi, thank you for sharing a link to the support documentation you’ve already considered along with a description of what you want to achieve.

Correct! Pix4Dmapper Desktop, along with other Pix4D products, display the coordinate location of your cursor as you move it around the surface of the orthomosaic, for example, in the Mosaic Editor or when you place your cursor on a point in the dense 3D point cloud in the rayCloud.

However, with respect to the coordinate that you see in the Mosaic Editor as you move your cursor around the orthomosaic, Pix4Dmapper Desktop is not reporting the coordinate location of each individual pixel. Instead, Pix4Dmapper Desktop is reporting the geographical location of your cursor. It may look like Pix4Dmapper Desktop is reporting the geographical location of each pixel in the orthomosaic, but in reality, Pix4Dmapper Desktop is simply displaying the orthomosaic in an environment where it recognizes the geographic location of both your cursor and your orthomosaic, independently of each other.

If you zoom in close enough with the Mosaic Editor so that you can see the edges of individual pixels, you’ll see that Pix4Dmapper Desktop reports different coordinate locations even as you move your cursor within the border of a single pixel.

There is a way to export the geographical information that is related to your orthomosaic and I’m confident that you’ve already done it. Every time you generate and export an orthomosaic, Pix4Dmapper Desktop will export three files, GeoTIFF, PRJ, and TFW.

You can find the three files in your project’s results folder under 3_dsm_ortho/2_mosaic. The same file structure can be found in 3_dsm_ortho/1_dsm for your project’s digital surface model, where the value of each pixel represents the elevation of the tallest or highest thing within the extent of each pixel in the image. The PRJ and TFW files contain the geographical information that Pix4Dmapper Desktop and other third-party software use to project the GeoTIFF in the correct geographical location. They don’t contain the information in the form that you described, i.e., a matrix of latitude and longitude for each pixel, but with the limited amount of information in those two files, you can ensure that your orthomosaic is correctly georeferenced instead of just a pretty picture.

Unfortunately, not all third-party software understands or supports PRJ and TFW files. If you want to see your orthomosaic correctly georeferenced alongside other 2D representations, you will have to open the orthomosaic or digital surface model with a compatible third-party CAD or GIS software. You can find a list of common third-party software that people use to continue working with each of their Pix4D outputs at Pix4D outputs with other software > by output

The link that you shared is with respect to the initial position, which is more commonly referred to as a geotag, of your original images. If you click To File…, when it is available, Pix4Dmapper Desktop will export a copy of your images’ initial position.

The To File… option in the Image Properties Editor has no direct relationship to the geolocation or georeferencing of your orthomosaic.