Contour lines with altitude information

Hello all;

I am new to PIX4Dsurvey and I have just started to work with it a few days ago.

I have imported into PIX4Dsurvey a point cloud -previously generated with PIX4Dmapper- from which I have extracted the countour lines as shape (.shp) file. After importing it into QGIS I could see that those contour lines generated by PIX4Dsurvey do NOT contain the altitude information. As an example, you can see in the attached picture that, another contour lines file generated directly from PIX4Dmapper actually include the information of the altitude.

How can I do it with PIX4Dsurvery or what am I missing?

Thanks in advance to everyone.

Hello Miguel,

Thank you for your message.

Note that in the contour lines created by PIX4Dsurvey, the elevation is already in the geometry.
However, you can proceed with this workaround in QGIS:

Use the Field Calculator as shown below using the expression z_max($geometry) for calculating a new field called Elevation.

Note that this is a short-term solution.
In the longer term, the PIX4Dsurvey is working on a better by default visibility for all GIS software.

I hope this helps.

3 Likes

Thank you @Daniele_Lecci, this is exactly the info I needed!
I also hope we can see in the future this features being improved on PIX4Dsurvey!

1 Like

Hi Miguel,

I’m happy to hear this was the information you needed.
The PIX4Dsurvey is informed about this and they are working on refining exported data. However, I can’t provide a release date, unfortunately.

Have a great day

Hello Pix4Dsupport,

is there a change to this topic or does is still not work?
I would love to push/vote this topic.

@anschlei, I haven’t work more with Pix4D since a few month. I’m currently using other point cloud processing software. However, I agree with you, this topic should be pushed. Pix4DSurvey is a great tool and if I need it back in the future I hope this feature will be included.

Hi @anschlei, hi @MiguelToril,

Please add your vote and your feedback request in this thread:

Cheers!

What software are you working with now?

Hi @MiguelToril !

Also curious on what is the other point cloud processing software you mentioned. :slight_smile:

Best,
Rosana (she/her)

We are currently working with POINT CLOUD EDITOR, from Aplitop (https://www.aplitop.com/software/tcp-pointcloud-editor).

Hi @MiguelToril ,

Thank you very much for sharing! We will take a look!

Best,
Rosana (she/her)