[CommunityStars] Interview with Chris Putnam

1. Could you tell us about your professional background and the way you use the Pix4D software in your work?

I have a background in the oil & gas and radiological industries. I’ve done surveys and site measurements, sampling environmental inspection for both industries.

I was part of a team that helped design a backpack radiological detection system, we went to Fukushima at that point I started seeing that there was a value in having information and bringing that information in a way that can be usable and measurable, in the form of a real representation.

One of the first things we did was thermal mapping for the Department of Natural Resources to characterize and detect subsurface mine fires that are still burning so there is limited oxygen that comes to the fire and smoulders.

Using Pix4D we can say: “This is the surface impact of the fire that is happening underneath the surface. Here are your chimneys, so you need to clear the vegetation around these places where all this heat is coming out. And here is extent of the fire that was dug up and dosed with water.” Then we will go back and fly again, to make sure that there aren’t any hot spots left.

It’s something that’s been very successful, we have been able to pinpoint with a high degree of accuracy where these things are, how hot they are and whether or not they have been successfully extinguished

2. Why did you choose Pix4D software?

We bought an eBee, back when the eBees were new and it came with Pix4D.
We started using Pix4D since then, to start working on point clouds, and it’s what we use ever since.

At DragonflyAI we offer high quality remote sensing services for customers from diversified industries such as energy, construction, agricultural, mining, environmental and government agencies.

3. How do you participate in the Pix4D community?

In the beginning I had questions and then I decided that it would be a good idea to start also giving back. I started to answer other peoples’ questions, so the knowledge base could grow and everybody would be able to engage.

4. How do you suggest other users to participate in the community?

You can start by posting questions. Posting how-to-tips like “hey, I figured out how to do something I didn’t know how to do” is something really helpful.

5. How would you like to see the Pix4D community in the future?

I would like it to evolve into a social network, where users can interact and have real time communication to help each other solving issues.

2 Likes