Support Website Contact Support Blog

Applying custom Geoid

Hi Everyone.

Is it possible to apply custom geoid to Pix4D? I have Phantom IV RTK and I want to apply OSGM15 geoid (UK+Ireland), as I’m having systematic vertical difference (vs handheld GPS RTK coordinates) when applying predefined geoid EGM2008 (before appying GCP). I think with RTK accuracy I shouldn’t have that problem with proper geoid applied.  

Have TIF file with OSGM15 definition, but doesn’t work, when put to folder with other geoids.

Many thanks.

Przemek

Hi,

Yes, it is possible to use a custom geoid, but there are a few rules to take into consideration:

1. Pix4D does not support the use of local geoid models yet, so the conversion to the desired local geoid has to be performed  before  importing the dataset into Pix4Dmapper. Transforming the vertical coordinate system of the RTK dataset (and GCPs, if it is the case) is applied by using an external tool provided, for example, by the national mapping institute.

2. A constant height and a global geoid could also be used although the accuracy will be lower. If you use the constant height, you will likely obtain inaccuracies, because it is not 100% certain that the elevation of the dataset has a constant offset compared with the geoid of reference. 

For more information about vertical systems in Pix4Dmapper, please read the article

https://support.pix4d.com/hc/en-us/articles/360021076212-How-to-define-Pix4D-outputs-with-respect-to-a-Geoid-model

Cheers,

Teodora

Teodora,

Thank you, I tried all above before, just wanted to know, if there is a shortcut by applying custom geoid. Helpful when flying over difficult areas, where no GCPs can be installed.

Found a way around it anyway, just takes little bit more time.

Reg.

Przemek

Hi,

Unfortunately, there is no shortcut at the moment. Currently, Pix4Dmapper lets you choose from the geoids EGM 84, EGM 96 and EGM 2008. Converting to other geoids has to be performed beforehand, with 3rd party tools.

It is nice to hear you found a workaround. However, Pix4D is constantly improving and adding new functionalities, in order to optimize the processing and analysis of 3D data.

Cheers,

Teodora