3D area measurement under a polygon

I’m trying to get a surface area for a surface with complex curves and I’m uncertain if the area measure feature using polygons is calculating it correctly.

Think about trying to measure the surface area of a large bowl or dome. The polygon with cover the base circumference of the shape but I’m unclear as to whether or not the “3D area” number is calculating the actual 3d surface area of the complex curve, or simply the area of the relatively flat polygon.

Does anyone know how the measurement area is actually being calculated?

Hi @mike7

Thank you for your question and welcome to the Pix4D Community :handshake: .

The 3D area is the area of the 3D polygon. It does not calculate the surface of the point cloud.

Can you eventually share a screenshot with us?

You can find more information about area measurements here:

Cheers

Hi @Daniele_Lecci , so essentially there’s no way to measure the surface area of a point cloud? I’ve found a few other softwares that do this easily and I’m surprised this isn’t a feature of Pix4D.

Hi @mike7

Your feedback is greatly appreciated; thank you.

I passed it on to our product teams. Even though we cannot guarantee that a solution will be implemented, I can assure you that every piece of feedback is internally evaluated at Pix4D.

Additionally, I’ve moved this thread to the “PIX4Dsurvey Feature Request” section, where you and other Pix4D community members can vote for this request.