Simple Orthomosaic for Civil3d

I am a land surveyor. I basically just need this software for a closer view than google earth for more detailed base map work. Is there a feature that I can just surpass all the cloud data processing and just process a detailed ortho mosaic? I will have GCP’s with our survey equipment on ground to line in with our base map on topographic.

Hi @uav14,

Welcome to the Pix4D Community :handshake: .

Yes, it is possible to create an orthomosaic in PIX4Dmapper without processing Step 2, which is the Point Cloud and Mesh generation. However, it is important to note that if you skip this step, the resulting orthomosaic will be of lower quality. This is because the orthomosaic relies on the 2.5D Digital Surface Model DSM which is ideally generated from the densified 3D point cloud from Step 2. Without processing Step 2, the DSM will be based on the automatic tie points from Step 1, which contain much less information than the densified point cloud, leading to a less accurate and complete result.

There are specific scenarios where you might consider skipping Step 2, such as when lower accuracy results are acceptable or when mapping a totally flat area. However, even in these cases, you should be prepared for potentially lower accuracy results.

For more information on the implications of skipping Step 2 and guidance on generating orthomosaics, you can refer to the Pix4D Documentation, which provides comprehensive details on the process.

I hope this answers your question. If you require further assistance or have additional queries, please do not hesitate to ask. Wishing you the best with your mapping endeavors!

Pix4D related documentation:

Daniele

240109_SouthCord_report.pdf (1.1 MB)

what should I be doing differently to receive better results?

Hi @uav14

Are you processing two distinct areas?

Please process only images from the same area of interest.

Yes, I am now only doing the south area processing? Does the input of GCP’s help with the streaking?

Hi @uav14

The fact is that you are processing two distinct set of images. The one at the top is a strip of two flight lines that has nothing in common with the bottom set of images. For photogrammetry to work, you need to have overlap.

If you only need the southern part, just insert these images into PIX4Dmapper.

If you are just needing the orthomosaic to have a better detailed map than google earth, then there is no need for GCPs.
You will have a relative accuracy of your project similar to the accuracy of the GNSS receiver of the drone.

Daniele