Phantom 4 RTK images in Pix4DMapper - Which camera model?

Hi everybody,
The enterprise recently bought a Phantom 4 RTK, so I’m testing how it works with Pix4DMapper; I still haven’t a physical base or a NRTK subscription, so I’m just testing it as standard-but-more-accurate drone.

I captured two slightly different projects of the same area: one in full cenital lawnmowing, and one as a grid (a first cenit lawnmowing flight being perpendicular to a second oblique lawnmowing flight). However, if I use the FC6310R_8.8_4864x3648 camera model for both project, the full cenital simply fails: each deviation from the standard Maps Template only worsen the Camera Optimization result (from 11% to 147%).

After several attempts, I tried to select another camera model, the FC6310_8.8_4864x3648, and it worked; the values of the two models are in the attached image.

So, in order to optimize the process, I’m interested to know how you tipically deal with the RTK model, considering that with the standard Phantom 4 it was enough to set “All Prior” of the Internal Parameters.

Finally, I observed that DJI Pilot includes the Dewarping function: in order to process in pix4DMapper, do I need to disable this preset?

Sincerely,
Giancarlo
220512_Oblique_report.pdf (1.5 MB)
221205_Adjust_report.pdf (1.3 MB)

Hi Giancarlo,
Sometimes if your project area is rather homogeneous in texture the camera optimization can become out of tolerance. The solution, as you have found, is to use All Prior. This forces the optimal internal parameters to be close to the initial values. Basically, it forces Mapper to trust the camera model more than it otherwise would.

As for the dewarp function, do not enable it in DJI Pilot. PIX4Dmapper has algorithms to handle these images during processing.

1 Like