Not using all logical processors

Testing out the new AMD Ryzen Threadripper PRO 7985WX 64-core machine with dual Nvidia A6000 in SLI.

My problem is that Pix4DMapper 4.8.4 only seems to use about 70% of the 128 logical processors when dense matching.

Is there a reason for this? Can it be improved?

Have you tried Pix4DMatic? I’d be curious to see if it uses 100% of the threads.

I have a dual 32-core EPYC workstation. I’ve found Pix4D won’t use more than 64 threads. So I actually get better performance by disabling SMT.

Hi @mblacklin

Did you adjust the CPU to use maximum resources in the Resources and Notifications section?

PIX4Dmapper is designed to utilize a single CPU per instance of the application fully. If a system has more than one CPU, a second project can sometimes be processed simultaneously to take advantage of the second CPU. However, in some cases, it’s important to note that the software doesn’t always leverage the benefits of multiple CPUs. This is due to the nature of the algorithms and computations involved in the processing tasks.

In general, the software will seek to use the number of threads which was defined by the user. For more details, please refer to this support article: Can PIX4Dmapper use dual CPU?

Another thing you may try is to overclock the CPU. It is not tested, but you can give it a try.

Hope this helps.

Best regards,
Rosana (she/her)