Map a Golf Course

Hi There,

I want to map a golf course but  am curious the best way to map it and get information under the tree lines?

I was thinking Double Grid?  but it might be too much?

Interested if anyone has tried and tested.

Thanks in advance.

Cheers

Allan

Hi Allan,

I would suggest you have a look at this articleon our Knowledge Base which details how to have the best acquisition plan depending on the objects/terrain to be reconstructed. (forest, buildings…)

Is it possible to precise us what you mean by getting information under the tree lines? Are there trees on the Golf course? If yes, is it a dense vegetation?  What kind of information from below the tree lines would you like to obtain?

It is possible for you to share the geographical location of the Golf to have a better overview of it?

Anyway, using Pix4Dcapture, I would suggest you to do a Double grid mission or a single Grid mission with a tilting angle as it is designed especially for 3D reconstruction.

Best,

Hi There,

Thanks for the reply, below is an example much the same. Love to hear your ideas and setup configuration, we will be using Ground Control points obviously. Was thinking to Fly in 2d Grid, but I am wanting to get as much information as I can under the trees.

Maybe the 3d double would best suite?

Thanks in advance

Cheers

Allan

Warringah Golf Course News South Wales 33°46’32.20"S, 151°16’4.84"E

Hi Allan,

Very nice Golf! and well located! Back in the time, I visited Mainly, it is really nice!

To map this course, I would recommend you to go for a double Grid, having a tilting angle to get as much information under the trees. Note that the double grid mission cannot be flown with polygon shape.
It would be maybe more suitable with the city airspace restrictions to fly two single polygon missions. Having the same settings (overlap, fly height, tilting angle, size…), one would be flown with flight lines pointing North-South and the other with the flight lines pointing East-West. It would be the equivalent of a double grid with a polygon shape.

Best,

Thanks for the reply, 

Once this is done I should have no problem also incorporating Ground Control points right?

Thanks

Allan

The method you mentioned below, means i wont have to fly anything at 90 degrees at all? I will do your suggestion at 70 Degrees camera angle to get more tree information. N-S AND E-W.

Any ideas for Ground Sampling Distance (GSD)?

"

**Gaël (Pix4D) **Yesterday at 20:43

Hi Allan,

Very nice Golf! and well located! Back in the time, I visited Mainly, it is really nice!

To map this Golf, I would recommend you to go for a double Grid, having a tilting angle to get as much information under the trees. Note that the double grid mission cannot be flown with polygon shape.
It would be maybe more suitable with the city airspace restrictions to fly two single polygon missions. Having the same settings (overlap, fly height, tilting angle, size…), one would be flown with flight lines pointing North-South and the other with the flight lines pointing East-West. It would be the equivalent of a double grid with a polygon shape"

HI Gael, 

Just checking, will fly 2 single missions, N-E and S-W with tilted angle 70%, will i also have to fly one at 90% (no tilt) and use about 20 GCP.

Thanks in advance

Allan

Hi Allan,

It should be enough with 2 flights having tilted angles, but if you have the possibility, I would also recommend you do one flight with the camera pointing Nadir.
The GSD will depend on the degree of accuracy you would like to have in your project.

Best,

Allan,

I agree with the angled camera angles.  That will get you better results.  Also, don’t fly the perpendicular transects of the double grid back to back.  Fly them at a different time of day, or if you have time, wait for a cloudy day. That will help you get more ground resolution under canopies, as the shadows will have moved and you will have light where you might not have before.  You can also do some free flight missions through the trees and on the sidewalks to get better resolution for your DTM.

In the case that you want to model the trees on the site as well, and there are areas where there are a lot of trees on the course, you will want to adjust your flight altitude upward in these areas.  If you don’t,  your overlap might not be sufficient and the Pix will have issues creating a point cloud that includes the tree canopies.  This is especially true with taller trees.

Hope that helps.

Hi Chris,

I flew it this week, was overcast so no clouds, in the process of processing the 3600 odd images. Was a 27 hole golf course.

I flew a 2d grid over the site in 6 flights, I then flew circular flights in different locations to obtain images under trees, I will let you know how I go. I also have 20 GCP’s and will process a dense cloud. I will be able to check for inaccuracies using independent survey points…

Ill let you know results.

Cheers

Allan

Allan, 

Currently planning a 18 hole course. How did yours go? 

Hi Jourdan,

Went well. depending on terrain, make sure you have good locations for you GCP’s and also lots of check shots. 2D grid was all I needed I did some angular shots but omitted them, wasn’t needed.

Outcome was good, hope this helps.

Thanks

Allan

Allan, you said you flew 6 missions to cover the entire area. How much overlap did you have for the adjacent mission?

Thanks

Glenn

Allan,

Did you preocess six flights and then merge?

Thanks

Glenn