Largest Number of Images

Just for fun, what is the largest number of images that you have ever processed in a single project?

Pix4D Support won’t join the discussion, so please comment on an existing postcreate your own post, or submit a technical support request if you have a question.

3 Likes

Hey Andrew,

I had 18000 images for a single Thermal project. 

6,000 as a single project.  Not efficient on my setup, but also not a normal project size.  

Hey Selim and Derrick, thanks for sharing.

I won’t comment further to avoid cluttering the thread but don’t hesitate to jump back in if you’d like to share an update.

Well raw picture count isn’t the best method to determine “largest sum of images”.  I ran a project with just over 5,000 RGB images but that might not sound like much until you consider they are 42 MP.  The gigapixel count of the project is true size and that one was around 210 gigapixel that took over 13 days to do Step 1 and the point cloud.  If I was using my P3A at 12 MP then it would be like processing around 17,000 pictures.

21238 images @ 21 MP

Troy,

Wow, 445 gigapixels in one project is amazing. What camera is 21MP and what hardware ran a project of that size with what result?

Hi Adam,

This is from the New Delair UX11, I have it running on our Ryzen thread ripper build. 128gb, 1tb ssd. 2 p5000 non bridged

have not finished just started last night. #UX11

That’s a lot of ground.  

Just a heads up - Placing some GCPs in the overlap zones between flight areas could potentially save you some headaches in the future.  Not an issue if you always process as a single project, but a pain to split up otherwise. 

1 Like

10-4 thank you for the info!!!

we are hoping that the PPK takes care of a lot of the gcp errors that you would normally see from a standard uav

What is the actual limiting factor on the total photos / total giga pixels that can be processed in a single project?  Is it RAM, processor cores, or something else?

Hi Andrew,

You might be interested into these articles:

Best

Almost 32,000 images 30 miles of pipeline

If you work with large projects, our Community Challenge may be interesting for you: Community Challenge: Dare to map bigger with Pix4Dmatic!

1 Like

Hi Selim, a little bit late reply. You mention 18.000 pics for thermal. Did you get after that one thermal mapping picture?

Going to try processing a pix4d catch with vidoc project this weekend, with 53352 images… We’ll see how it goes! Then, merge in the lidar from the walkthroughs.

8,000 pics, 42MP, ~3000 acres.

Our site is 30 miles long, 3/4mile wide and we get to map (<0.15ft RMSEz) about
1/3 of it each week.