Laptop specifications

Hi, I´m getting started with Pix4D and I need to buy a laptop to process all my images.

I work with a DJI Matrice 100, X3 camera, and my main areas are construction and insurance.

I´m looking for a laptop with good specs but not too expensive.

A friend of mine recommended me the Predator Helios 300 with 32GB RAM, and I want to know if there´s a good option. I usually process between 400-1000 images but probably my projects will be getting bigger.

Thanks for all your help

Hi Javier,

Computer hardware is always a hot topic in our community :slight_smile:

Did you have a chance to check this post? Pix4D-Computer-hardware-community-benchmark

Cheers,

Ina

1 Like

RAM and video card are the limiting factors on a laptop.  With a simple X3 camera you might survive at 1,000 images but I would consider a laptop just a “toy” for business just like the Spark or Mavic are just a “toy”.

Invest in your business with a desktop that will run much faster and higher quality.

2 Likes

Thanks Ina, I´ll check it out.

Adam, good analogy haha. I want to know if you guys work with laptop or desktop, because I have the chance to buy the Acer Predator 15, that has:

Windoxs 10

Intel Core i7 7700HQ, 2,8GHz quadcore

RAM 16GB up to 64GB (that´s what i´m going for)

1T + 256GB SSD

Nvidia Geforce GTX1060

My question is the following, generally the places where I work are outside my city, so working with a desktop is not an option, unless, after flying, transfer the images to my laptop (Macbook Pro) and from there when I get to my office I transfer the images to the desktop.
I currently travel with my laptop and I use it to transfer the images from the drone to a folder and from there to a PC, but I’m not using it to process.

Do you think it is a better option to buy the laptop that I mentioned before to process everything, or follow the system I use now, where after each flight, I transfer the images to my macbook pro and buy a desktop to process the images there?

Thank you very much again for your help,

@Javier: If it’s a notebook you really want the I would choose Asus GL702ZC (ryzen 1700 8-core) sadly it comes with RX580 GPU so no cuda. But you can buy external case for a NVIDIA GPU and use that if you want.

@Adam: I would’t call Mavic Pro a “toy”. It’s really effective tool in able hands. I really would like to see you flying M600 indoors and mapping a production line :slight_smile:

2 Likes

Javier, I never process on my laptop but my projects are much larger than yours.  There is no magic answer for everybody on hardware or even settings in Pix4D as both can change your point cloud from 5 million points to 200 million points all on the same pictures.

Jaakko, very good point :slight_smile: I certainly won’t be flying indoors with my M600…I just wish the Mavic Pro had something better than the low-res 12MP camera.

Jaakko, why would you choose the Asus over the Acer?

Adam, when you travel (if you have to) when do you process all the images? And where do you store it?, because those are my main issues. If you say that´s better to travel with any computer where you can store all the images and then go back and process them in a Desktop (that I assume that it´s much better, but I don´t know why) probable that it´s what I have to do.

Thank you all for your time and help!

Javier, Asus has Ryzen 1700 processor which has 8 cores and 16 threads, Acer has 7700HQ processor with 4 cores and 8 threads. IMHO Asus has the best possible processor in a laptop at the moment. It’'s a pity that it wasn’t paired with NVIDIA GPU.

1 Like

Jaakko, it´s  possible to fit an NVIDIA GPU in the Asus?

Javier, sadly it’s not possible. Maybe some other manufacturer will release Ryzen laptop with NVIDIA GPU, you never know.

1 Like

Ok, but do you think the Acer Predator 15 is a good option??