[Desktop] [Pix4Dmapper 4.2.27] slow step 3 processing with full CPU usage?

Great! I first updated my GPU driver to try to fix Pix4D crashing during Step 2 (following advice from here: https://community.pix4d.com/t/2800-pix4d-desktop-crashes), but I only updated it to the most recent version on Support | Dell US, rather than the actual most recent version.

I’ll keep you posted on how the fully updated GPU driver affects performance.

Right now the project I started yesterday is still running. According to the quality report, Step 1 took 2.5 hours, Step 2 took 6.25 hours, and Step 3 has been running so far for about 13 hours. The substep it is on (“Generate orthomosaic [group 1]”) is 14/16 complete.

If you think it would be really helpful, I can rerun a project I ran a couple of days ago with just the updated driver being the difference between the runs. Otherwise, I will keep cranking through the mountain of projects I need processed and can submit quality reports/logs from different projects in an open ticket if that is equally helpful (or only a little less helpful).

Thanks for your attention to this!

Edit

An update: The project finished, with Step 3 taking 15.5 hours. Anything else I ought to try? Perhaps this is the expected amount of time for a project like mine? I’m happy to open up a ticket if you think that would help uncover anything!

Edit 2

I’m running another project that appears to be taking a similar amount of time. ~1.5 hours for Step 1, and Step 2 has been running for ~8 hours so far (and ought to finish soon).

For posterity: I was still having trouble keeping my CPU temperatures down on my Alienware Aurora R7 machine, so I did 2 things–

1. I used the Alienware Command Center Thermal Controls to make the fan speeds under manual control, and set a fan curve that makes the top fan run at ~85% when the CPU gets to 70 degrees Celsius.

2. I turned off the “Always Ready Mode” following advice from here (https://na.alienwarearena.com/ucf/show/1465512/boards/technical-support-1/ForumPost/urgent-alienware-aurora-r5-overheating-as-fans-go-idle) which was making my fans go idle if I stopped moving my mouse for >10 minutes even though Pix4D was still working my CPU at 100%.