Best devices for the most complete, accurate 3D scan

TLDR: This is a question primarily curious about how you integrate additional picture taking devices (besides drones) into your workflow to achieve better results.

I am just getting started with Pix4D as we begin to implement it at work. As with anyone here, I want to produce the most accurate and complete 3D scans of our assets. To me, success in this area is really a function of four things: time, camera hardware (i.e. image quality/stabilization), geospatial connectivity (i.e. utilizing RTK, GCPs, etc.) and shooting angles/distances. I have both the time and sufficient camera hardware for our RTK drone. To achieve a truly complete scan, however, i’ll need to experiment with shooting angles, distances, etc. that will no doubt include integrating other forms of picture taking. What devices do you use for gathering the visual data besides a drone? The obvious answer here are point and shoot cameras. Are there any other tools, methods or otherwise recommendations you all have for doing this? Looking forward to hearing from you all!

Hi ahuber,

Welcome to the community!

Are you able to generally describe what kind of assets you are referring to? Depending on the size/scale you might find the PIX4Dcatch app interesting as it uses phones and tablets to capture the project.

When looking to combine/merge different projects from different acquisition methods. It is most important to try and maintain similar GSDs(Ground Sampling Distance) between each of the methods of capture. Also using manual tie points are very helpful as well.

Regards,

-Jon

The smallest asset would be an overhead sign, like those you pass under along a highway. The largest asset would be a highway bridge.

Thanks for the tips on GSDs and manual tie points. As for PIX4Dcatch, is it possible to integrate the data collected by that means with the data collected from our drone? The goal here being to scan the subject with various drone passes and fill in missing or insufficient spots with PIX4Dcatch?

Hi ahuber,

To achieve a truly complete scan, however, i’ll need to experiment with shooting angles, distances, etc. that will no doubt include integrating other forms of picture taking. What devices do you use for gathering the visual data besides a drone?

It was suggested in reference to this question. You can also have access to LiDAR depth data when connected to a capable iPhone/iPad which can be helpful in regions where photogrammetry traditionally struggles. It should be noted that the LiDAR scanners on these devices are only capable of up to roughly 5 meters.

I think this is an interesting question, and curious to hear what other folks are using as well. Are you currently missing something in your scans now, or just exploring different methods?

-Jon

Just exploring different methods. Thanks for your time!