[Android] Beta release 2.0.8

Inspire 1 Firmware v.1.6.0.40 will not upload mission with this version

@erik same issue here. My Inspire was away for a warranty repair and came back with 1.6.0.40 on it and am now stuck as well. 

I flew 2 missions today, P3P with firmware 1.06.0040, Capture 2.08, Samsung Tab A, Android 5.0.2, no big issues. First flight wouldn’t upload, clicked cancel and then clicked start again, worked perfect. I really feel for all the people here that are having problems. I have hundreds of flights using the capture app for the last year, never really had any issues, a couple small glitches here and there. Started with a Samsung Galaxy SIII and now the Tab A. I normally calibrate the compass with the GO app, then shut everything down, force close the GO app, start the capture app, then power the P3P, then power the rc. Hope this helps.

Hi,

Can anybody tell me which DJI firmware and which Capture version working well together with Ispire 1 PRO ? I have iPad and Android tablet too. Both are interesting for me.

And the quiestion is the same regarding to P3P, but only on Android.

Richard and John - Minor correction I believe, the GPS in the Phantom is not L1 (carrier phase) but CA (course acquisition) code. L1 is used in RTK measurements, but you are right about the general accuracy.

Cheers

Caleb

Cannot get connection with my P3A using Capture 2.0.8 on 1) NVIDIA Shield (5.0.1), 2) LG G4 (5.1) or 3) Nexus (6.0.1).  The wireless icon just stays grayed out and never connects.  I’ve tried uninstalling DJI Go, rebooting, resetting, everything.  Think we need to wait for something more stable.

Looks like Pix4d is getting some help in regards to Android development.

https://pix4d.workable.com/jobs/161660 

@Keenan - That is good news.  I grabbed an old Android Motorola Razr Maxx and was surprised that it actually connected…  It was an older android version 4.4.2.  Hopefully they find a new hire that will resolve the problem for current phones.

@John

Agreed. I think the issue we are seeing since we ruled out the Android OS itself as the issue is the underlying architecture of the app.  I remember somewhere there was mention of them trying to keep the Capture app compatible with the Phantom 2. The only theory I have is that there is a race condition.  Where to connect to the Drone you have to follow step a, then step b. However in a race condition sometime step b happens before a.  This is why we randomly can connect with devices and we see older devices connecting but newer ones struggle.  Again I don’t work for Pix4d. 

I did however prototype a simple android app that would allow a drone to take and land.  It worked flawlessly with all of my devices.

There is news of a new SDK from DJI to simplify the drone app development process that seems to streamline the whole process.

In the end though, I think we will be waiting for a while for a new release.

So I’ve flown 4 missions with the latest DJI FW and an old Galaxy Note 2 and all 4 work flawlessly. Only issue I have is that I need to restart phone between missions or else I get no comms to the aircraft. Same setup with a Nexus 7 2nd Gen, can’t get it to work at all. Note that in all cases I don’t have the DJI Go app installed. BTW Inspire 1.

@Paul Moran - Do you mean firmware version 1.6.0040?

@Caleb Yes.

@Paul Moran - Inspire 1 V2.0 or previous version?

@John Inspire 1 “C” model I think. Manufacture date was Feb 2015

YEEEESSSSSSSSSSSS I got it to work.  

• Inspire 1 V2.0
  • FW v.1.6.0.40
  • Tried a Samsung Galaxy Note 10.1 Android version 4.1.2 (It hasn’t been updated in awhile) My Samsung Galaxy S6 Edge Plus (Android 5.1.1) is a no go.
  • Capture App 2.0.8
  • DJI Go 2.4.3

I read through the directions (Link) again and it worked when I did the following:

• At the warning I clicked “Next”
  • At the Grid Mission, I started the propellers and lifted the drone into the air about 5 feet.
  • Then I clicked “Next”
  • I let everything sync and then pressed and held for 3 seconds.

What DIDN’T work:

• At the warning I clicked “Next”
  • At the Grid Mission I clicked “Next”
  • It started to sync
  • I started the propellers and lifted the drone into the air about 5 feet.
  • Once it was synced, I pressed and held for 3 seconds.

Basically, At the grid mission do not click next until your drone is in the air.

Anyone with the same problem want to check the prop thing or tablet???  Then again, who has an outdated tablet laying around :slight_smile:

Thanks,

Johnny

Hello all,

Sorry for the lack of activity here, but we really have a lot of job for Capture. I know that it takes time, but we are doing our best!

@Keenan: I think you are right about the “race condition” thing. If you look at the demo App DJI does, some things are done at the application level, once and for all. Then they don’t really care about terminating the processes correctly. We don’t work like that, our architecture is a bit different. So maybe we do something wrong, and maybe there is something not working correctly in SDK 2. We could make it work with SDK 1 (supporting the Phantom 2), but they clearly had some race conditions in the SDK and we had to kind of reverse engineer them. I spent a lot of time trying to fix the connection problems with SDK 2, but I finally gave up. We are also working with other SDKs, and we never had such problems with the connection for any phone.

So maybe it is something wrong on our side, but if you have written some prototype apps, you know that connecting to the drone is a matter of a few function calls. And there are a lot of issues with SDK 2. For instance some interference between two apps running the SDK. And not only with Capture: we could reproduce that between DJI Go and their own demo half a year ago.

Anyway, SDK 2 was extending the P2 for some new drones (P3, I1), and it had a lot of design issues. SDK 3 that they just released is much more promising, and we are working on it for both iOS and Android right now. Note that SDK 3 drops support for the Phantom 2, simply because SDK 2 did not success in integrating more than the P2. SDK 2 has been developed too fast, and if you have a look at its code, you cannot possibly disagree with me.

Again, it is not an excuse for us, but I truly believe in our architecture. We’ll see if we are right with SDK 3 ;-).

Finally, we are recruiting because we need more resources for our mobile team, definitely not because we are lost with DJI’s SDK :P.

@Jonas

I agree I don’t think DJI handled two apps trying to use the SDK well. They should have established a “lock” kicking out other apps so you know and are guaranteed you have the connection to the aircraft.

As for SDK 3, I agree there is more promise, including I think retrieving the list of files on the drive including the time created which should help determine which files were part of the mission. They also can return thumbnails and previews of images… I wonder if any of those images have Exif info in them.

I agree the SDK is a hot mess. I got the new one up and going far quicker.  I am very glad to see that Pix4D is investing in more mobile developer resources.

Lastly, check your LinkedIn. :slight_smile:

I have tested 4 devices with Pix4D and the program worked well on 3 failed on 1.

• Inspire 1 V2.0
  • FW v.1.6.0.40
  • Capture App 2.0.8
  • DJI Go 2.4.3

Worked:

1. Samsung Galaxy Note 10.1 (It hasn’t been updated in awhile)
  2. ATT HD Trek
  3. ATT GPad 7.0 LTE

Failed:

1. Samsung Galaxy S6 Edge Plus

I am not a developer but hopefully the pics below may help someone figure out what the inspire 1 connectivity issue is.

Galaxy Note - Worked

HD Trek - Worked

GPad 7.0 - Worked

Samsung Galaxy S6 Edge Plus - Failed

Does not work with HTC One X (Android version 4.2.2). Very frustrated - HELP!

Thanks for the reports! We are working now on the very new SDK 3 that DJI released recently. We’ll keep you informed about that!