DJI Mavic Pro Autofocus Issue

We are in the same situation indeed! > and also waiting for some response from Pix4D!  its been 4 months now! ZZzZzZZz

@ Jonathan Bingham,

Mavic Pro focus issue is NOT a priority for Pix4D. So, either expect to wait for another 4 months or look for other solutions.

Its very clear whats happening during the process as a mission starts.  The drone turns around and repositions itself at the start point. During this phase it applies a one time focus normally when the drone is facing away from the subject that then puts everything out of focus when it starts. 

I really don’t understand why its so difficult to change the coding in the app to remove the command to autofocus during this phase & make the autofocus happen at the last stage before the mission begins?  Basically it goes through exactly the same process as it does now but after it does its thing & has positioned itself on the first point it applies autofocus and then off it goes.  You could even add a second mission start button allowing us the check that everything is in order before commencing the mission.  That would save a lot of wasted time with messing about with force quitting apps, landing etc.

I’m on the trial version at the moment and was pretty impressed by my first attempt at modelling a castle but since then I’ve had about 8 failed attempts with blurry images.  I’ve tried all the work arounds mentioned but it always overrides anything I’ve done prior to opening the pix4d app and applies that autofocus on some random point facing away from my subject.

Pretty crazy that you sell this as a working product (for a lot of cash I might add) yet it seems to me that its still in beta phase with problems you can’t or won’t solve.  I was looking at using the modelling application in my business but I won’t be subscribing until this issue is resolved. I will most likely look at using another program and hopefully have a bit more luck with that.

Admin edit: I’ve slightly edited some words, please remain polite on this community. Thank you. 

Ver 3.0.0 of Pix4dCapture for iOS was just released. This issue hasn’t been fixed. I can’t think of a more important thing to solve than the focus issue that is affecting the most used drones in the market. Let me know if I’m wrong, but this is my relationship breaker with Pix4d. 

It is unbelievable that they (Pix4D) gave up on this issue as it such a simple and yet crucial modification. Also for me this was the relationship breaker! All of you who are looking for alternative solutions should give a try to DJI ground station app which is a  much better option!

Yepp, same here, gave up on Pix4D capture. You can also see from the thread in this forum that there is no more interest in solving the problem as we haven’t seen any responses from the reps anymore.

Please check out our blog about mapping apps: https://www.brainpooltech.com/blog

So far we discussed Litchi and Ground Station Pro and many others will follow

I have hit this problem also in iOS Pix4D capture. I am presenting my work around here that I have checked works on three separate occasions. I have found that the camera settings check takes more than 5min on the ground and returns out of focus imagery. What I do to solve this is (a) plan my flight as normal, (b) cycle through the start mission sequence a couple of times till the camera settings pass, (c) start mission and wait for the Mavic to nearly reach the start point so at the correct altitude. (d) Pause the mission, go home in the app, go to project list, open your mission again and select duplicate, select start and the mission will upload again to the Mavic and camera settings will match your target. Seems to work nicely and saves on battery. 

The other work around that I stumbled across and isn’t applicable in most circumstances is loading the mission when the Mavic is placed on a ledge with clear distance view (no foreground features). This seems to let the camera focus also but there’s not many places you can do this practically. 

Hello all. Some users have reported that upgrading their iOS device has resolved the issues related to focus. If none of the solutions presented in this discussion work for you, make sure you give it a try with a newer iOS device if you have access to one. 

I’d like to know why iOS hardware causes trouble with Mavic camera settings before spending over $1000 on a new phone. If the same software versions are running both iOS how can it affect settings on Mavic? If this is a genuine work around I’ll do it, but I’d need confirmation and a reason.

Here is our mini review about Pix4D:

https://www.brainpooltech.com/single-post/2018/05/07/Pix4D-Capture-%25E2%2580%2593-You-could-be-best-in-class

Please like, comment and share

Ho effettuato quattro missioni ( Dji Mavic Pro ) … due missioni focus corretto … due missioni foto tutte sfuocate … inoltre frequenti disconnessioni con l’app Pix4Dcapture  … tutto da rifare :(  

Hello all.

1. Dear Pix4D image acquisition staff :  Please do we have any advancement in correcting this long thread issue?

2. Colleagues : I would like to know from DJI Mavic Pro users here, the real and practical convenience of the integration with Pix4Dcapture?

The best and thank you in advance.

I have used several workarounds found on this discussion. While I love my Mavic Pro for video missions and the simple integration with DJI goggles, the Mavic camera is simply unsuitable for mapping.

First, a mapping camera must have a constant focal length. That is why Pix4D will only set the focus once at the beginning of the mission.

Second, the field of view is way too small with the camera. It takes too many flight lines to get the same endlap/overlap as a Phantom.

Third, the resolution and sensor size are poor compared to a P4 Pro.

Conclusion: the Mavic is a poor choice for mapping in the first place, hence lack of support from Pix4D.

Tim

1 Like

Hi Tim,
I will address the points above in order.

FOV is fixed for Mavic 78.8deg but focus plane varies. The problem with focus is the limited sensor control in Mavic Pro SDK. I can free fly a survey pattern using timed shots and map to fly survey lines and create maps from the Mavic Pro all day long.  It is even possible with the Spark (below) with 85degree forward.

Second, see first point. The optical geometry will have limited impact on the necessary image station density. A wide FoV and reliance on % overlaps will result in (a) building wall layover, (b) occlusion of ground features in gaps between buildings and trees, (c) poor roof or other hard corner reconstruction. This is a simple image geometric issue.

Third, pixel counts have little to do with mapping. I am able to generate orthomosaics of native bush in Australia with the Sequoia at 1.2 Mpix sensor size. Provided overlap is sufficient and environmental windows are within software tolerances, detailed canopy models are possible (below).

Sensor suitability is determined by target properties and required information. The issues with the Mavic Pro are the result of SDK limitations in control of the sensor not the sensor itself. 

1 Like

Guys, use Drone Harmony to fix Mavic Pro Focus issues.

http://droneharmony.com/

@Vusal

Drone Harmony is great piece of software but sadly their new pricing scheme is pure bs. I’m not  paying monthly fee for a flight planning software

1 Like

@Jaakko Laihola,

This is new for me. I personally want this type of apps for free for lifetime.

With no intention to advocate DH, did you mention they also have a lifetime license?

BTW Pix4d is successfully using monthly fee approach for years already…

@Vusal 

Yes DH has a lifetime license, but that is just for taking pictures and video. At least they should have made terrain aware-surveys available to that lifetime license. I would gladly pay e.g 100€ for a lifetime license with terrain aware but not a monthly fee

Pix4d is using monthly fee also, but that includes the desktop software so that’s like comparing apples and oranges

Hello all.

Please, are there advancements in correcting the Mavic Pro’s auto focus issue with an updated DJI SDK for controlling better the sensor?

Did last iOS 3.3.0 (07-31-2018) solve or take into account the above issue?

The best.

@all Pix4D Supporter

all have still the same problems with autofocus of Mavic Pro. The new Mavic 2 is now available and you did`nt not found a solution to solve the problems for the old Mavic Pro. So please give us any news about your efforts how to fix the old problems.