Support Website Contact Support Blog

Welcome to the Pix4Dsurvey beta!

Welcome to the Pix4Dsurvey beta!

Pix4Dsurvey is currently available as a closed beta for Windows and macOS. The software will evolve at a fast pace with new and updated features being added with every new iteration.

This is the place for all your questions, suggestions, and ideas.

To help you get started we prepared useful information in the product documentation and Pix4Dsurvey FAQ.

Our team will be closely following the discussion and provide all the necessary explanations and information. We are very excited to hear your feedback.

Pix4Dsurvey Team

A limited group of beta testers will have the chance to participate and influence the development of the product with their feedback. Apply for the beta program here.

2 Likes

Thank You for the invite and the opportunity to help make Pix4DSurvey a success! I look forward to see what’s to come and be able to provide insight on what I feel would make it better for all of us Surveyors.

Andrew
Wounded Warrior Surveying

1 Like

Hi Nathan and Zita

Thank you very much for the invitation, I am already testing the software with some projects already done on pix4d mapper. In principle, the interface is very practical and simple, to draw, if you have to have good vision to avoid taking or confusing the points to join that we require.

For now, being a test, I think it cannot be exploited to see the quality and if the georeferencing of the drawing made on the point cloud is respected.

At the time it could be a good option to draw on the orthomosaic, it could give you some better clarity to see in 2d, or serve as an auxiliary or comparative of the strokes on the cloud of points.

Thanks, I will keep trying.

Regards

Hi Nathan and Zita,

Have already imported an existing pix4d file, looks great. All my work is in road construction, creating line work from an aerial survey is with out issue is or will be a game changer for Pix4d. My first question is will we be able to draw a curved polyline?

Thanks

Al

1 Like

Hey Nate, I really appreciate the invite to help test pix4dsurvey.

I’ve spent a little time in it this afternoon and I have a handful of suggestions:

Differentiate layers and your imported point clouds. Theyre both in the same bar and it can get extremely cluttered very fast. My suggestion would be to use overarching categories. I have a rough edit mocked attached.

Another suggestion would be to change the mouse controls to mimic Pix4Dmapper. Being able to use the mouse wheel click for orbit, and roll for zoom is extremely nice.

Will we be able to work off the smaller DSM files opposed to the point clouds? This could make working with the data a little easier.

Basic feature extraction would be huge. Being able to select a beam, wall edge, or even top/bottom slope and having P4S automatically create the polyline for you would be huge.

Quick contour generation, as well as cut/fill maps + the ability to bring in tin surfaces for comparison would also be huge.

The ability to do fly-throughs with the cad lines and polygons drawn would also be handy, especially if we could add notes.

Right now it looks like a good base, but as it sits now, I dont see any benefits with this build over the cloud viewer.

As I go through and use it more I’ll be sure to add to this discussion! Thanks again for the invite!

Ryan Sweeney

1 Like

Hello, and thanks for let me be part of this tester group.
I’m facing a problem right at the beginning, I don’t know if my PC is too old, or what. When executing Pix4Dsurvey, this error appears, and I cannot see or do anything further: image

This is my graphics card:
https://www.geforce.com/hardware/notebook-gpus/geforce-gt-635m/specifications
I have installed the latest GeForce drivers available on the official website, and this still happens.
Could you tell how/if I can solve this please?

@fschiff Your GPU doesn’t support P4DSurvey. It only supports up to OpenGL 2.1 I believe.

Welcome to the community @fschiff :slightly_smiling_face:

Any GPU that is compatible with OpenGL 4.1 is supported with Pix4Dsurvey.

Based on the link you shared, the graphics card GeForce GT 635M supports OpenGL versions up to 4.5 and should be sufficient to run the software.

Could you check the following and let us know if the issue persists:

Do not forget to reboot the computer after updating the drivers and changing the settings.

Best,

2 Likes

Thank you @Blaz for the welcome and the clues. The second one helped me out, in the NVIDIA Control Panel I set manually that the Pix4D products should use the GeForce card instead of the automatic setting, and after rebooting, Pix4Dsurvey started well.
Soon I will post something about my first impressions with Pix4Dsurvey.

Cheers!

1 Like

Thanks for adding me to the beta! Are there any point cloud clean up tools in the current beta? I only saw drawing/digitization tools, but it would be nice to limit down the point cloud to just want is important especially if your computer struggles with lots of points.

@eddie Check out the gear in the bottom right corner of the 3D window

@eddie, the current version of Pix4Dsurvey beta does not include tools for point cloud cleaning. The gear icon that @rsweeney mentioned is there for changing the display properties of the point cloud.

Just out of curiosity, what are your computer specs and how big are the point clouds that you usually generate? Did you notice any performance issues when importing big point clouds into Pix4Dsurvey beta?
By “limit down the point cloud” you are referring to point cloud decimation or something else?

To all, we are actively checking your replies and feedback and we plan to answer them in short notice :wink:.

Best,

1 Like

I saw the gear icon and did play with it, but I am actually talking about point cloud decimation @Blaz. Basically the ability to select a group of points and then just delete them if they are outside of the area that matters. Also sometimes with oblique imagery you get points way off in the distance that can just be removed.

I downloaded a Pix4D project from Cloud. The zip was about 3GB and it includes the .p4d file and 1_initial, 2_densification, and 3_dsm_ortho folders. It was made from 199 RGB images. I loaded this into Pix4Dsurvey on a Macbook Pro 15" with Quad Core 2.5 GHz Intel i7. 16GB of RAM and AMD Radeon R9 M370X. This machine is probably a bit under powered for this work, but the point cloud is not really that big compared to ones made with 1000s of images and it was pretty sluggish to the point of almost not being possible to draw vectors.

Thanks for the support!

Good Morning! Is it possible to get an invite to try the Pix4D Survey beta?

I also applied for the beta and would like to be included.

Thanks

Hi Al,

Thanks for the feedback! Yes, we’re going to offer more types of vectorizing options, including curves.

thanks,
Nate

Hi Ryan,

Thanks for the feedback and the nice mockup! As you have found out, this is an early version, and feedback like this is what will help us make the best possible software for you. We’ve got lots of plans, and I think you’ll like what’s coming…

thanks,
Nate

1 Like

Hi @Derrick_Westoby1 and @Andrew_Milanes,

Thanks for the interest in Pix4Dsurvey! We’ll do a second round of beta invitations in a few weeks. At that point we’ll have an updated version of Pix4Dsurvey with some new features (we’ll also share that version with all the first round testers).

thanks,
Nate

1 Like

@Nate_Moore How will we know when to update survey? Will there be a popup notification like in mapper or will you email/notify us here? How often will we get new versions of survey in the beta?

Do you have a roadmap for updates/planned features you can share?

If possible, would you allow the beta users to see and vote on level of importance for these features so the more important features can be focused on first/get higher priority?

Thanks!

Thanks for this opportunity!

Just to add to what aleckford has already commented…
Ability to delineate/draw for road work and other construction would be key.
The better i can measure…the more money i will have to spend on your wonderful products.