[iOS, Android] New Phantom 4 Pro v2.0 not working

As an alternative for those desperately waiting for Pix4D, Maps Made Easy has added P4PV2.0 support in the latest update to their “Map Pilot for DJI” app available in the Apple App Store. Although there is a small cost for this app, it will get you up and running immediately. 

Thank you @Lennon Bedford for posting an alternative solution. It won’t help Android users, unfortunately, and is a non-optimal choice for those wishing to continue a Pix4D-based workflow.

Come on, Pix4D! Get with it! Clearly other devs are able to make their apps work with the new SDK…

Maps made easy had it figured out two weeks ago:  https://mobile.twitter.com/MapsMadeEasy/status/1014240865861099521

What is the delay here Pix4d?

I’m caught in the P4P 2.0 trap also. Really, this is DJI’s fault for delaying the sdk, as it should have been available way before they started selling the drone. The Phantom series is kind of a sweet spot for civil engineers and surveyors IMO, and there is not much competition at the price point I know of.

But DJI showed their true colors on this, selling early. MAJOR mistake. I don’t trust them now, and when we look at expanding our drone force, and buying the expensive level items ($5k+), they are at the bottom of our list. They should have been upfront with the 3rd party incompatibility. They might make great products, once they do work, but what else will they hide from us in the future?

Hobby use is one thing, but they sure taught businesses a lesson with their dumb selling early stunt.

Poor pix4d is scrambling to catch up, just like all their competition. It would not be a good sign if just one suddenly said they were compatible. I would expect the third parties to all kind of get it tested about the same time frame, or you have to ask if they are skipping anything at our risk.

We also bought the P4Pv2  just on a month now expecting it would work the same as the P4 Pro and only to find that it didn’t after a whole days drive out and back from site without doing the job.

Even the dealer was totally unaware of these issues and was even appalled that it didn’t even work with DJIs own GS Pro app. What poor form from DJI!

So all we have now is basically a manually flyable drone, and for our uses it’s just become an expensive door stop.

Would be nice to hear from the Pix4D team when your app is going to be usable for the P4Pv2?

Note that Drone Deploy is releasing new versions over next couple days, that work with Phantom 4 2.0. Their new version ends in 77, so check that as I did not get an update yet for android. Pressure is on Pix4D!

Seems Autopilot is also working with P4Pv2 as well now. Ill try it out tomorrow

Add me as another impacted customer.  Just got a P4Pv2 this week.  I did not see this before that PIX4D Capture is not yet supporting P4Pv2.  At client’s property for mapping project - weekend wasted.  Next issue will be at DroneU fly-in in next week (August 2nd) - cannot use PIX4D for mapping projects without P4Pv2 support.  I will explore other mapping tools.  HUGE disappointment.

any updates Pix4d, or any indication of lead time: are we days, weeks or months away?

Spent part of last week in Pix4D Workshop @ SF Office. Good training on how to use desktop software but unfortunately this is not where the devs are and everyone I spoke to was only able to apologize and promise that “we’re working on it”.

The fact that DJI hung us ALL out to dry by releasing a platform w/o an SDK (and discontinuing the supported platform(s)) is well known now and Pix4D is in no way responsible for the shameless lack of customer support shown by DJI.

But now that the SDK has been out for some time and other 3rd party devs have updated their apps to support the P4PV2, Pix4D needs to step up and inform their users what the schedule is for resuming support, and get Capture/+Control updated ASAP so we can fly.

This policy of “it’s not supported and we can’t promise when it will be” is just not what we’ve come to expect from one of the leaders in UAS photogrammetry software.

Hi all,

The development of the support for the P4P V2.0 is still ongoing for Android and iOS. We apologize for any inconvenience caused. We are aware that the demand is important and that it can be very frustrating for every person using our application and especially business owners. We are doing the maximum to release the support for this drone as soon as possible.

Anyway, be reassured that we will remain transparent about the progress and communicate about it when necessary. So far the integration of the DJI SDK is almost completed.

Please understand that we can’t provide any estimates for the release date of the support but do not expect it to be before a month or so. Of course, if things changes (and it can change quickly), we will keep you informed.

Thank you for your understanding,

Best,

Wow, another month? You might want to reconsider that timeline, as your competition, such as Drone Deploy, is already releasing updated flight control software for the v2.0. Makes me wonder if your developers are just busy, or have higher testing standards, or are just having a hard time with the update.

Yep, time to look at Drone Deploy… I like keeping the whole workflow in the Pix4D environment, but that doesn’t seem to be an option anymore.

We’ll see if coming back to Pix4D Capture makes any sense after using DD for a month…

Be careful with the DD, I had some issues that are making me wait for a bug fix. The drone would fly 10 feet, stop suddenly, then another 10, and so on for first leg. Next leg was smooth. They are working on it right now. Just don’t want anyone to get disappointed by DD as they are very responsive.

I just confirmed today (7-30-2018) that following iOS apps/versions are available on the app store now support the P4Pv2:

DroneDeploy V2.77.0

Map Pilot for DJI - Business V2.4.8

DJI GS Pro V1.8.4

I will shortly need to commit to a plan for the DroneU Fly-In this weekend in Albuquerque…

I still would prefer to use PIX4D Capture for consistent workflow but at least there are options to explore.

I finally gave up, returned the new drone by paying $225 restock fee, and bought a P4P v1.

@Jie, better to also post this remark to the DJI forum. There are a lot of other angry people who bought P4Pv2s on there as well. Its really better more people making these complaint on there rather than on Pix4D. 

@ Mark. We prefer to use Litchi over all of them, but unfortunately they haven’t update for the P4Pv2 yet either. We prefer it because it has the ability to do both flight planning on the PC and in the field. It also allows for manual adjustments of each way-point to really taylor your flight plans to get the maximum out of a battery. To many of these other apps you cant adjust the start and end point to be exactly the same location. Also we have the lead in and out legs ascend and descend so you are not wasting time and battery on those either. We hope to see Litchi with its update coming out this week we are told.

John…tried Litchi awhile back and it seemed good for scenic photo/video flights.  Does it work as well for mapping… I like the P4D grid mode but do not want to program individual waypoints.  Also, I find hard to pre plan until I see the site and local hazards such as trees.

I’m also heaving the same issue. Baught a brandnew P4PRO V2.0 as the V1 was not available anymore. I need it for surveing tasks. Customer are waiting for results. Please provide us with an update.

In the meantime, is there someone out there who has an (intermediate)soluton? I have a cristal sky monitor so GS PRO is not the solution 

Since Pix4D capture is not working, I have started using Maps Made Easy. It has many of the same features and works excellent with the P4P2