Point Clouds in the Cloud

Point Cloud in the Cloud

Our 3D viewer can now load and render point clouds. This allows you to see and measure with more precision as well as see details which be harder to identify in 3D mesh. Point clouds make use of LOD (Level-of-Detail) for fast and efficient loading in Web browsers. This means you can view point clouds with millions or even billions of points.

All the tools previously available in the 3D viewer are also available when viewing a point cloud. You can add markers, lines, polygons and even perform virtual inspections.

Geo-Referenced 3D Measurements and Annotations

3D measurements and annotations are now properly geo-referenced if the project has a valid coordinate system and was processed in the pix4D Cloud or uploaded directly to it via pix4Dmapper. This works even when viewing the 3D mesh so you add annotations and measurements in the point cloud and view them on the mesh and vice-versa.

Markers now display correct geographical coordinates (WGS84) and distances and areas respect the units specified together with the coordinate system. Until now, if a project was processed with a coordinate system whose unit was set to “Feet,” we would display the wrong measurement values because we assumed “meters” as a unit for processing.

We are working on ways to let you specify which Coordinate System to use for processing or visualization as well as other geo-referencing parameters, so stay tuned for exciting developments in the coming weeks.

Other features

• Inspections can now have custom colors, just like other annotations.

Fixes

• Fixed the order of fields in the “Plant Health” layer.
  • Prevented the Map Copyright from being covered by the right side panel.
  • Fixed some styling issues in the Uploader box.
  • Fixed an issue which prevented the redirection to the 404 page for non-existing projects.
  • Fixed some styling issues which caused some browsers to display weird characters over sliders.

Thanks

Thanks to Markus Schütz, developer of Potree, a library used to load and render our point clouds: http://potree.org/

9 Likes

What do I need to do to see the point cloud? so I need to re-process a project?

@Cesar Rullier,

Yes, that would trigger the tiling and optimization of the point clouds for display on the Web. For now we decided not to automatically run the tiling/processing on older projects.

If you have the .las files in hand, you can also try to combine them with an external tool (Cloud Compare?) and upload the whole .las  (current limitation of 1 las file, which we are working to remove) to the Cloud and we will tile it.

2 Likes

Thanks, but I think it may be easier to just re-process online.

Hey Hugo, this is amazing, potree is amazing! Doing basic measurements online in the viewer is cool, but will you also be implementing volume calculations and displaying 2D profiles to extend its functionality? That’d be fantastic to do some quick and easy analyses directly in the field or as a decision maker.

@Ekrem Canli

Yes, both 2D profiles and volume calculations are being developed as we speak. I don’t know exactly when we will be releasing those features, but you can definitely expect them in the near future.

Is it possible to load classified (2-5 .las files) point clouds to Cloud?

Hi @Matti Hytola

At the moment, this is not possible. We currently only display the color (RGB) of the point cloud. We are looking into supporting other pieces of data from the LAS and also displaying the points in different ways (e.g. elevation).

How useful would this be for you? Any concrete use-cases or workflows you are trying to achieve?

Thank you for your help and contribution :slight_smile:

1 Like

Would like the option of uploading from desktop to cloud  multiple  .LAS point cloud files for a project.  Previously, I would upload the project files multiple times, one for each .LAS file as my workaround. Â