Bug in Latest iOS Version - Not Using Custom Camera Trigger Interval

Prior versions of Pix4Dcapture didn’t have this problem but this week the app no longer calculates drone flight speed using the manually setup custom camera trigger interval.  It doesn’t matter what number is entered into the custom camera setup or what speed (slow/fast) is setup in the advanced mission settings.

Interesting. It is working on our Ipad Mini. I’ll check if there is an update not performed yet. We are unable to get our Sony A7R III to remotely trigger through Pix4D. We just manually triggered a time lapse sequence to collect the images. Not ideal, but we’ll see.

Yeah you can’t have Pix4D trigger a custom camera but it does control the flying speed and just assume the proper trigger happens.  Right now the latest iOS version lost the calculation in speed…try changing the custom camera settings and see if you flight time changes on the same mission.

We just changed the focal length from 28mm to 70mm and the flight time jumped from 9min to 29min (at the same altitude). iOS 11.2.6

Sure, focal length changes overlap because the field of view narrows in your case…but just change the trigger time and it should change as well.  I use 2 seconds with my Time Lapse app and moving to 3 seconds didn’t change flight time by even 1 second.

Adam, are you using the DJI remote start/stop module to start your time-lapse sequence? Also what time lapse have you found to work? We just did 1 sec intervals. Currently uploading 340 pics…for our first project using Pix4D

In the past we have used Drone Deploy with a DJI camera, but it seems as though Pix4D is a bit more powerful.

Oh ok, I see. I would think that time lapse changes would simply take more or less photos without affecting flight time. 

While I don’t have anything official, I am 99% sure Drone Deploy uses Pix4D engine.

I have the remote start/stop with the DJI Focus but it isn’t consistent enough.  I have the Sony a7Rii so I installed the Time Lapse app…and why I haven’t upgraded to the a7Riii.

**Todd Allen**Today at 17:13

Oh ok, I see. I would think that time lapse changes would simply take more or less photos without affecting flight time. 

That is incorrect Todd, changing the trigger time changes flight time if you hold the overlap the same.  Flight plan is calculated on camera optics to determine picture count and then flight speed is set to trigger interval.

1 Like

I would think the time-lapse app would work on the Riii also? You are saying it doesnt?

We are using a device called a Seagull Remote control which interfaces with the DJI controller expansion kit. It allows variable time lapse settings, but not easily changes without using DJI Assistant 2 and a computer.

Your camera can’t install and use Sony apps.  There are 2-3 devices that I know of to trigger the Sony line of cameras and none of them seem reliable to me, especially on cell towers with RF interference.

We all run different missions and have different needs but back on topic…Pix4D broke the Capture app and needs to fix it to how it worked before with the custom camera trigger interval for the flight speed calculation.

OK got it. Thanks for the info Adam. I am disappointed in the RIII and no apps. I had just assumed it was there. We just bought it. Going to talk to rep about exchanging it.

As @Adam mentioned, when using the custom camera feature the app does not trigger the images automatically. This is why a Min. Triggering Interval needs to be set up manually in the camera so it is triggered independently. More here: https://support.pix4d.com/hc/en-us/articles/115005463986 

I did a quick check and noticed the same: in some cases changing the Min. Triggering Interval does not reflect on the time estimation in the app, e.g. when the mission was already modified in the app. 

Can you try to plan a new default mission (tap reset) and check if the values update afterward? Maybe just the apps memory needs to be refreshed.  

As for DroneDeploy using Pix4Dengine. They do not use it yet, but they should!

Yes the actual drone is flying way too fast and not per the trigger setting.  That is how I noticed this problem when doing the Pix4D Challenge #2.  From looking at the pictures I would say it was around 70% front overlap even though I selected 90%…thankfully the side overlap calculated the path correctly and I ended up with a halfway decent mapping.

UPDATE:  the latest version 3.0.1 still won’t function properly on a custom camera trigger interval.  I was also looking at my P3A and while it does adjust the time for forward overlap %, it doesn’t seem correct until well below 90%.

This is a really big deal when everybody is trusting Pix4D’s calculation for % Forward Overlap…very disappointing on latest update.

That is too bad. We use Drone  Deploy also, but have not tried this with it yet.

@Adam, thank you for letting us know that the Pix4Dcapture does not appear to be updating the estimated flight time to take a new minimum triggering interval into account. You will receive a direct message shortly so that we can continue the conversation.

@Todd, and anyone else who is following this post, we will add an update here when we have more information about the impact that Minimum triggering interval [s] has on a flight plan. Stay tuned.

In the meantime, if you have reason to believe that Pix4Dcapture is not adequately taking the Minimum triggering interval [s] into account for a custom camera, you can slow the drone down by increasing the mission’s Front overlap [%].

Thank you for your understanding.

Looking forward to hearing about a fix from PIX4D

@Todd, Adam, and anyone else who is following along, we have identified a limitation of Pix4Dcapture for iOS that may compromise a mission’s front image overlap when flying with a custom camera.

The latest version of Pix4Dcapture for iOS supports a minimum forward flight velocity of two meters per second. Unfortunately, if a mission’s optimal forward flight velocity is slower than 2 m/s , according to your custom camera and mission configuration, your drone will continue to fly at approximately 2 m/s. If a 2 m/s forward flight velocity is faster than your mission’s optimal speed, the amount of forward image overlap that your camera captures will be less than what you chose in your mission’s settings.

The minimum forward flight velocity of 2 m/s likely explains why you do not see your mission’s expected flight time change after you change your custom camera’s Minimum Trigger Interval [s] in Pix4Dcapture’s _Custom Camera _settings.

A faster than expected forward flight velocity does not have a direct impact on the amount of side image overlap that your camera captures.

We are investigating what solutions are available to ensure that your drone’s actual forward flight velocity matches your mission’s optimal forward flight velocity. I cannot guarantee if, or when, a future version of Pix4Dcapture for iOS will include a solution to this limitation.

In the meantime, if you are flying missions with a custom camera with Pix4Dcapture for iOS , please consider verifying that your mission’s optimal forward flight velocity is greater than or equal to 2 m/s to ensure that you capture as much forward image overlap as you chose in your mission’s settings.

Please do not hesitate to let me know if you have any questions.